We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming through Pittsburgh..suggestions please

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
329 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Coming through Pittsburgh..suggestions please

I am thinking of flying in and out of Pittsburgh later in September.

I'm then going to rent a car and drive on to the East Coast...and return a week later to fly back to Chicago.

Can anyone suggest a good place to eat for a brunch/lunch in the early afternoon on the way out of town or very easy to get to from the Airport?

Then on the way back, are there any good suggestions on places to stay near the airport? I'll be coming back into Pittsburgh on a Friday night and will be flying back to Chicago Saturday late morning...so I am also up for some suggestions on places to see/do that Friday night. For what its worth, this is my first time in Pittsburgh itself so am wondering how easy it is to drive around Pittsburgh or how good is their public transport.

Dates: fly out on Sept 27th, rent a car, start heading towards NY

Be back in Pittsburgh Oct 5th and fly out the morning of the 6th.

Thanks!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
36 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming through Pittsburgh..suggestions please

hi. hope you enjoy your stay in pittsburgh. i can answer a few of your queries. alot of out of towners complain Pittsburgh is a difficult city to navigate. I advise you bring a GPU . It is not a grid system. granted there are some parts that are numberrd chronologically (some of the downtown and the southside) but that is the extent. most other areas there appears to be no rhyme or reason. i have even heard the roads were built off of old cow/pig paths used to drive the livestock downtown to be slaughtered. That has never been corroborated. But potentially makes sense The public transportation has some good aspects to it. The inclines take you rite up to Mt. Washington from the south side. Mt Washington is a nice tourist attraction as well as the south side. The subway system takes you to all aspects of the downtown and is free at certain points. There is a "T" (light rail system) for the south hills. Not alot of touristy reasons to go to South Hills unless to try a restaurant. The EBA is a limited stop busway that can take u from downtown to east and vice versa. There is an EBO that takes you from east to Oakland where Pitt is located. A great airport hotel is the Hyatt because it is attached to the terminal. Makes it very convenient!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming through Pittsburgh..suggestions please

There are a number of hotels on University Boulevard in Moon including a LaQuinta, Holiday Inn, Doubletree, and Super 8. There's also a Hyatt Regency on site at the airport. Do you have any budget considerations?

Lunch or brunch spots are plentiful. A good local spot on University Blvd. is Eggs 'n'At. There's also a Primanti's and an Eat n Park in that area. You'll have more options as you head east on I-376 in the Robinson area. You have typical chains like Applebees and Fridays, as well as Mad Mex, Quaker Steak and Lube (wing spot), and Bocktown Beer and Grill. There are many others too, so if there's something more specific you're looking for, let me know.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
329 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming through Pittsburgh..suggestions please

Thanks for the suggestions on both the hotels and restaurants. If all goes according to plan, I'm wanting to get a bite to eat once I get into Pittsburgh which will be around 12:30-1 local time...so am looking possibly for a place with a brunch type menu.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming through Pittsburgh..suggestions please

In that case, I'd consider Eat 'n Park (several locations) and Eggs n'at (small diner with breakfast and lunch options). There are also Bob Evans restaurants in Moon and Robinson, two Panera locations in Robinson, and the First Watch Cafe in Settlers Ridge. I'm bot sure how far off the interstate you want to go, but Deluca's in the Strip District is known for great breakfast and lunch options.

Edited: 03 September 2012, 06:25
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
329 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming through Pittsburgh..suggestions please

Am actually looking for more local places than say a Panera or Bob Evans...ultimate goal is to get to the Turnpike and head east so anywhere works for me.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming through Pittsburgh..suggestions please

In that case, here are a few options in addition to the diner in Moon. There are two places not far off of I-376 in Carnegie. One is Bob's Diner on Mansfield Blvd and the other is the Gab n Eat on PA-50. Although it is still close to I-376, that one's a little harder to find because it is at the end of a small shopping plaza and the sign is hard to see from the road. Bob's is easy to see once you get onto Mansfield. You take the Carnegie exit and get in the right lane. Turn right at the traffic light onto Chestnut. Go straight at the light by the BP station and left at the next light onto Mansfield. Bob's is on the right hand side. For Gab n Eat, you'd go straight at the first light off the exit. Make a left at the "T" (PA-50). Follow until you see the Advance Auto Parts and turn left into the next parking lot. The diner is at the far end of the plaza. I think any of the 3 options would suit your needs.

Beaver Falls...
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming through Pittsburgh..suggestions please

Seems like people have covered brunch, I recommend First Watch but it's not a local place.

As others have said Pittsburgh is difficult to navigate but with a GPS you shouldn't have any problems. Parking is inexpensive compared to other cities. Recommend the Strip District for good local flavor/food.

As far as hotels, there's a Hyatt on the Airport property, and a variety of hotels in different price ranges from Red Roof to Marriott off the parkway in Robinson Township.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,107 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming through Pittsburgh..suggestions please

If you want a diner with a great "blue plate" special feel and good portions, then try Armstrong's in Moon Township. Located maybe 5 or so minutes from the airport and awesome food. I work nearby and it's a great lunch place.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming through Pittsburgh..suggestions please

Crowne Plaza is a nice hotel near the airport, and there is a Primanti's near there.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1 post
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coming through Pittsburgh..suggestions please

If you want to sample PIttsburgh, for sure check out Armstrong's in Moon Township, it's easy to get to and near the Airport. For Brunch check out any Eat n' Park. They are a Pittsburgh favorite, and you're not visiting unless you eat there!

If you're heading to the east coast you'll be coming down my way, Washington County, I'm assuming you want to bypass the traffic in the city and come down 79, to 70 east to New Stanton and pick up the turnpike.

If you want to see Downtown, or "DanTawn" as it's locally known in PIttsburghese, take the Parkway West I-376 through the Fort Pitt Tunnels to get the instant WOW factor of coming out of the tunnel and the city right in front of you. But I beg you... DON'T stop on the bridge! You can stay on 376 across town and take Highway 30 to the turnpike. You'll see the heart of Pittsburgh via this route. Stadiums, the "Point" or Golden Triangle, or the confluence of the 3 rivers, which ever you like to call it.

Mt. Washington via the Incline will offer you a perfect view of the city, you can watch the tugboats move coal and other materials up and down the rivers, the train traffic along the rivers and all the bridges of the city. But bring cash if you're going to the Georgetown or the Le Mont, very very high end places.

The Holiday Inn on University Blvd... highly recommended, I've stayed there on occasion, as they have a free shuttle to the airport, and you can leave your car in their long term lot, but sounds like you won't be needing that.

If you like BBQ, try Hog Father's in the Washington Crown Center off Chestnut Street exit in Washington off I-70. Small locally owned, a lot of local products are used there. If you leave hungry... well you won't.

I hope you enjoy your time here, most everyone is friendly, ask if you need directions.