We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clean, comfortable one night hotel off I76 near Pittsburgh

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Clean, comfortable one night hotel off I76 near Pittsburgh

My husband, myself and 18 month old son will be driving from Detroit area to Massanutten VA in late June and are looking to book a hotel to stay in to break up the drive. From google maps, it looks like the half way point is about Pittsburgh. Any recommendations for a hotel probably right along I 76 pretty much anywhere from the PA border to as far as Mt Pleasant area? Just looking for something clean and comfortable as we will be arriving around midnight and just wanting to go to sleep. Having a decent breakfast (either free or not) at the hotel would be a plus but not a necessity. Would love to spend under $100. Thanks

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clean, comfortable one night hotel off I76 near Pittsburgh

There is a Holiday Inn Express quite close to the Donegal exit of the PA Turnpike. Quite new, I saw some excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. While not AT the turnpike exit , it is very close, maybe a mile or so. They have a basic hotel breakfast.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
765 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clean, comfortable one night hotel off I76 near Pittsburgh

Cranberry would be a nice spot. Range of hotels from cheap to expensive. Plenty of restaurants around, as well as some activities. It can be a crowded area, but everything is convenient.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,618 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clean, comfortable one night hotel off I76 near Pittsburgh

I'm not sure of the traffic pattern or congestion in the morning, but I think I would want to be south or east of the city. I'd look Monroeville down to Mt. Pleasant area.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,221 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clean, comfortable one night hotel off I76 near Pittsburgh

The Turnpike isn't a problem near Cranberry. US-19 is the traffic issue there, but Business US-22 in Monroeville is no better. I think Cranberry has more options right off the highway that are of better quality. I'd look at the Hyatt Place, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn, or Holiday Inn Express for the free breakfast thing. There is also a decent Four Points and several Marriott properties. If you want cheap, the Red Roof Inn and Motel 6 will do just fine, and you can buy breakfast at the nearby Eat 'n' Park or Bob Evans for what you'd save on the room.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clean, comfortable one night hotel off I76 near Pittsburgh

You may want to pin down a place and make a reservation. My wife just made a trip out that way and was looking to stop in western PA to break up the trip. A lot of places had no vacancy when we checked. She made a reservation and when she checked in she asked why rooms were so hard to come by in the area. A lot of the rooms are booked by drilling companies providing housing for the rig workers. Lots of fracking going on in the area as the Marcellus Shale formation runs through the area.

6. Re: Clean, comfortable one night hotel off I76 near Pittsburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 06:17