We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking around Pittsburgh

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Walking around Pittsburgh

I'm visiting the east coast next week and after seeing the movie "Jack Reacher" I've decided to make a quick detour to Pittsburgh. I arrive in the morning and leave early the next day so I only have a day available. Thankfully it is summer so I have a lot of daylight hours. Point State Park, the Cathedral of Learning and Mt Washington are the three must sees for me.

After checking into my hotel, I'll to go the Catherdral of Learning (via cab probably) and later in the evening I plan to to go Mt Washington from Point State Park so I can see the view in both sunlight and nighttime.

I'll therefore probably have a view hours to spare from the time I arrive back into the city center to the time I go to the park which I predict will be late afternoon. So, my question is: can anyone recommend a good walking route around Pittsburgh city center that would allow me to observe the nicer / more interesting / more unusual parts of the city. I won't have time to visit any other museums. I'd just like a good few hours stroll around the city with a nice stop for lunch and get a good feel of the city

Also, what is the best walking route from Point State Park to the Duquesne incline.

Thanks for your help

Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking around Pittsburgh

Where are you staying? A few of those areas are a few miles apart. Mt Washington provides a good view of the city, but you may find a better view at the West End overlook in Elliott (about 10 minutes outside of the city).

You could probably walk from the point to the Smithfield Street bridge (pass Market Square and follow 5th or Forbes until you reach Smithfield St and head right) , stop for something to eat at Station Square (Hard Rock, Buca Di Beppo, Grand Concourse, Bar Louie, etc..) then walk to one of the inclines and head up to Mt Washington.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking around Pittsburgh

If you google "Pittsburgh self guided walking tours" you'll be directed to several possible walking tours, and then depending on where you're staying, or what you're interested in, you may find something that makes sense for you.

For purposes of figuring out the neighborhoods, the Cathedral of Learning is in Oakland, Point State Park is downtown Pittsburgh, and Mt. Washington is a big hill across the river from downtown.

Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking around Pittsburgh

As mentioned above, I would personally stick with Mt Washington over west end. The west end overlook is a great view but its a Pittsburgh staple to ride the incline and walk grandview.

Also cabs are not always readily available. Make sure you have the phone number for the cab company so you can call and get one.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
501 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking around Pittsburgh

If you are staying downtown, I would recommend a walk to the Strip District. Just follow Penn Avenue away from the Point until you come to an area with stores and produce stands. It's a fun area to roam around and grab a bite.

To walk from Point State Park to the incline, when exiting the park turn right, then left onto the Boulevard of the Allies, past the Post-Gazette building. Walk a few blocks to Smithfield Street then turn right. At the end of the bridge is the Monongahela incline. To reach the Duquesne Incline turn right into the Station Square complex, past the shops and the soccer stadium to entrance on left. Hope you enjoy!

5. Re: Walking around Pittsburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 05:15