We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location/hotel suggestions for short stop in Pittsburgh?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Location/hotel suggestions for short stop in Pittsburgh?

I am intending to spend one or two nights in Pittsburgh in mid-November.

The main things I want to visit while I am in Pittsburgh are the Mattress Factory and the Andy Warhol Museum.

I am a 22 year old female travelling alone, will be flying into PIT and will be reliant on public transport. Am on a reasonably tight budget.

Would love any recommendations of neighbourhoods and/or accommodations that that these things into account... have had a bit of a look for places but it is difficult not knowing anything about the public transport or the different areas.

Thanks in advance

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
193 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location/hotel suggestions for short stop in Pittsburgh?

If you will be in Pittsburgh on a Friday to Sunday, I suggest staying at the Hampton Inn on Smallman Street and checking out the Strip District markets and stores. It's within easy walking distance. You can also walk to the Mattress Factory and Andy Warhol Museum from the Hampton Inn, although that is very weather-dependent in November. Sometimes we can have sunny days and a nice walk along the river trail is possible. If the weather is bad, you will have to take a taxi from the Hampton Inn.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Location/hotel suggestions for short stop in Pittsburgh?

Its not a bad walk but it would probably be 5 or 6 miles to walk from Hotel to mattress to Warhol and back so thats only an option if she is able to do it.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location/hotel suggestions for short stop in Pittsburgh?

I did Mapquest for the round trip from the Hampton Inn to the Mattress Factory for walking route, and it says it is 3.8 miles round trip. Definitely doable for someone who likes to walk.

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location/hotel suggestions for short stop in Pittsburgh?

The Courtyard by Marriott on Penn Ave has a complimentary shuttle. They won't take you all over town, but they took us to Station Square. If you call the hotel, they will tell you which attractions they'll take you to and which are too far. So though it may not be the cheapest room, with some free transportation thrown in, it could be a bargain.

OTOH, Google Maps says it's 0.6 mile to the Mattress Factory from Courtyard, and then another 1.1 miles to the Warhol Museum. Certainly a reasonable walk on a nice day. On a bad day, refer to paragraph 1 above.

We walked from the Courtyard to The Strip and on up to Pamela's for breakfast, and that was a nice walk.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location/hotel suggestions for short stop in Pittsburgh?

Thank you all for your suggestions - I am normally pretty good at finding places but just had no idea where to start this time. I will take a look into these options and figure something out. Am also considering an airport hotel as will unfortunately be spending very limited time in Pittsburgh.

Donegal;PA
Level Contributor
323 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location/hotel suggestions for short stop in Pittsburgh?

A good site for visiting Pittsburgh

http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/

7. Re: Location/hotel suggestions for short stop in Pittsburgh?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 05:18