We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something to do on Saturday and Sunday?

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Topic
Something to do on Saturday and Sunday?

My husband and I are planning to come down this weekend. Where is the public market located? I saw on a previous post the hours are 9-5 on sat? He also wanted the name of the place where you can buy pierogies? Any other festivals or fun activities this weekend? Winieries near downtown?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
193 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Something to do on Saturday and Sunday?

The strip district is generally on Penn Avenue between 16th St and 25 St and most shops will be open from 9 to 5 on Saturday and 10 to 4 on Sunday. If you want to try a legendary breakfast at either DeLuca's or Pamela's in the strip district, then you should try to get there early to avoid the long lines. We waited about 45 minutes to eat at Pamela's last weekend (and it was worth the wait!)

For pierogies, I prefer the real deal at S&D Polish Deli, 2204 Penn Ave near the 22nd Street intersection. There are (or were before they moved) some wineries in the Pittsburgh Public Market, 2401 Penn Ave at the 24th Street intersection.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Something to do on Saturday and Sunday?

There is a pierogie festival on the South Side this Saturday:

post-gazette.com/life/…201310240045

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Something to do on Saturday and Sunday?

I'm not sure, if by market, you mean The Strip District, which is a great food shopping area, or the "Pittsburgh a Public Market" which is in the Strip District, and just reopened in a new location at 2401 Penn Ave. There is a winery in the Public Market. Also in the Strip is Dreadnaught Wines. They are more a wine accessory shop, as in PA only licensed stores can sell alcohol, but they do hold tastings. On Friday they are doing Loire Valley and Saturday a mini wine and cheese tasting. I believe you have to sign up in advance, check their website.

S & D pierogies are great and their homemade saurerkraut is phenomenal. You can often get homemade pierogies at St Stanislaus at 21st and Smallman, just look for signs to see if they are holding a sale. These are also both in the Strip.

However, if your husband is TRULY in to pierogies, the 1st Annual Pierogi Fest is on Saturday at Riverfront Park in the Southside Works.

Have fun!

4. Re: Something to do on Saturday and Sunday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2014, 04:19