We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A restaurant to take teen son, family for a special dinner

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
199 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
A restaurant to take teen son, family for a special dinner

My son (15) is making his confirmation Nov 9.

We are not having a party, but instead he requested a dinner or lunch at a nice restaurant.

Ive lived in Pittsburgh all my life but just want to make sure Im not missing someplace. My daughter who is 10 is pretty picky but this is my sons day so she'll have to deal.

My son is a typical teenager, eats constantly and never gains weight. He loves and eats just about anything.

I was looking at The brazilian steakhouse at Station square, melting pot, monterey bay and ruth chris.

Any other place Im forgetting?

What would you pick? Any recommendations or comments appreciated.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A restaurant to take teen son, family for a special dinner

All are great choices, but at 15 would he be OK with the somewhat stuffy ambience at most of the above places(though food-wise all are excellent)? While it is a chain, maybe the Cheesecake Factory, even the Hard Rock (though it is not known for its food). Then again, you have the Grand Concourse (Sunday Brunch is very good) and McCormick and Schmick's on the Southside.

For graduation from high school both of my kids wanted pretty much the same, we did brunch at the Grand Concourse for one, and lunch at Lucca Risorante in Oakland for the other.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,031 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A restaurant to take teen son, family for a special dinner

They are not "authentic" by any means, but there is a Buca di Beppo at Station Square, as well as in Robinson. I second Cheesecake Factory for groups.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
193 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A restaurant to take teen son, family for a special dinner

I think kids want to be around other kids, so Oakland should be your target search area. Mad Mex, Primanti Brothers, and Quaker Steak and Lube are good choices in this area. Maybe not the same quality as other restaurants on your list, but definitely more ambiance for a teenager.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
199 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A restaurant to take teen son, family for a special dinner

Thx! But we want something special and on the nicer side.

While we love good wings , definetly not something we are looking for on such a special occasion.

We go out to eat as a family quite often , so we frequent wings and burger places a few times a month.

Love the suggestion of the Cheesecake Factory.

It's also one of our favorites. We were just there for my daughters birthday last month . That's why it didn't make the list.

After letting the man of the hour read the menus and see the venues, I think we're going with Monterey Bay.

Salmon is my sons favorite food. So along with that and the view , it is a good choice.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
199 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A restaurant to take teen son, family for a special dinner

Forgot to add, I did check out the menu for the brunch at the Grand Concourse. Wow! Definetly have to give that a try sometime.

We have tickets to the Steeler game Sunday ( where our meal will be Primanti's... Yumm) so the celebration meal must be on Saturday.

Thank u all for the suggestions!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
193 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A restaurant to take teen son, family for a special dinner

Great! Looks like you have found a winner in Monterey Bay on top of Mt. Washington overlooking the city. For others that might read this post, some alternatives for good salmon dinners are the Penn Avenue Fish Company, Luke Wholey's Wild Alaskan Grille and McCormick & Schmick's. Not as scenic but still great seafood.

Freeport...
Level Contributor
9 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A restaurant to take teen son, family for a special dinner

Can't go wrong with Monterrey Bay - I had my wedding there. You can't beat the views in the city. The food is excellent - and it's not as expensive as some of the other places. More importantly for you, it's fairly family friendly in comparison to some other "nice" restaurants.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,516 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A restaurant to take teen son, family for a special dinner

Another suggestion, http://www.maxsalleghenytavern.com/ IMO, very good German food and would be good if it is just parents and kids, no friends or extended family. (I remember the dining room being smaller, but perhaps they have a larger room in the back for groups?)

Also, I'll share my opinion on the Melting Pot, take it with a grain of salt as I know a lot of people love the Melting Pot. - The Melting Pot is more of a social scene where friends may talk while slowly cooking their own food and slowly eating. I personally found it not appealing when not with a group of good friends. (That is, not somewhere I would want to go with family.)

Congratulations to your son and have a great meal wherever you decide!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
86 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A restaurant to take teen son, family for a special dinner

My kids (now 19 & 17) LOVED the Melting Pot. We only went there once, for New Years Eve about 3 years ago. They frequently ask when we're going back. It was GREAT for our family of four!

Western Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
30 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A restaurant to take teen son, family for a special dinner

My kids love Bucco de Beppo, Joe's Crab Shack and the Cheesecake Factory. My daughter wanted to go to Hard Rock cafe for her 15th birthday and was disappointed. She turned 16 this year and picked the Cheesecake Factory and loved it..... we all did. We took the Ducky Tour for her birthday too and loved it.