We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping Advice

Australia
Level Contributor
274 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping Advice

Hi

I am planning on coming to Pittsburgh around Christmas 2014.

My main reason for visiting is to go to the Warhol museum.

I will be there only about two days, likely on the weekend.

As I am from Australia, I want to get to all the ordinary every-day places we don’t have like:

Joann craft store

Walmart/Target/Kmart

Barnes and noble

Supermarket

Which location is the biggest and best of each?

I will likely be staying downtown and will hire a car if absolutely necessary, especially as I wouldn’t mind also seeing Fallingwater.

Also, suggestions for any great gluten free places or foods to try would be most appreciated!

Many thanks

Mikala

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping Advice

The Waterfront shopping area in Homestead has a Target, a Barnes&Noble, and a pretty big Giant Eagle supermarket all close together, so you could get to several such places in one swoop. Also a Michael's craft store (but no Joann's). Walmart and Kmart are kind of dismal, IMO, Target is nicer to shop in. There are a couple buses from downtown Pittsburgh that go to the Waterfront, 61 C and 61 D. Both of which will drive past Gluutenny, a gluten-free bakery on Murray Avenue in Squirrel Hill. Pittsburgh has a lot of places that serve gluten free foods (I have three nephews who must eat gluten free food, so am familiar with the helpful responses most restaurants make when asked about gluten free options).

You would definitely need a car to go to Fallingwater, there is no public transportation from Pittsburgh that would get you there. Buy tickets in advance, as it is a long drive and you don't want to get there and find out there are no tours available.

Check out the Mattress Factory, another art museum near the Warhol:http://www.mattress.org/

They have several works by James Turrell, which are my favorite pieces there, but there is some other interesting stuff there too.

Welcome to Pittsburgh!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
323 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping Advice

Hello.

I would do your best to try to get another day or two onto your trip to Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is a lovely city with so much to do and see.

As for shopping, Pittsburgh is one of the best places in the USA to shop because there is no sales tax on clothes in PA, which makes a shirt in PA 8% cheaper than the same one in NY. The best place to shop in Pittsburgh is a short drive from downtown called Ross Park Mall. They have everything from Everyman shops like H&M, Macy's, etc. to high end retailers like Burberry, LV and Nordstroms. The outdoor shopping in Shadyside is also nice, but it won't be as comfortable as being indoors.

The most impressive grocer is Giant Eagle Market District. It is right off the highway about halfway between downtown and the airports. It's one of the few grocery stores where wine is sold and has a nice bakery and produce section.

Nearby to the Warhol are a few other great cultural attractions. Try to catch a show, go to the Matress Factory, the Aviary, or go to a small local art gallery.

A trip to Fallingwater may be the highlight of your trip. The city is beautiful, get a car, buy a picnic lunch from the grocery store and head into the mountains to falling water. Have your picnic lunch viewing the water fall at Ohio Pyle State Park.

3. Re: Shopping Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 05:17