We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying Outside Pittsburgh

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Staying Outside Pittsburgh

Hello all. Thinking of coming to Pittsburgh to see a baseball game in July. Coming westbound on the Turnpike. What would be the best cities to look at to stay just outside the city to try and avoid the high cost of the hotels near the stadium.

Thanks Tripadvisor Family!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,020 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying Outside Pittsburgh

First, there are tons of options in the city, even for those on budgets. So, keep searching and maybe consider priceline/hotwire (4* downtown has been $80-$100 in the past). I've never stayed there, but I've read many rave reviews on the Hampton Inn on Smallman St. because they offer free parking, free breakfast, and wifi - so when you add total cost, it's not bad. The Greentree area is just west of downtown and there are a few hotels in there. I think a couple offer shuttles to downtown, too - I've stayed at the Doubletree there. The Best Western Parkway Center Inn is located nearby and it's more of a budget offering, but there is not much around; still, free shuttle downtown. Finally, if you don't mind about a 15 mile drive, then consider the Robinson, Pointe, or Settler's Ridge areas west of town. There's a lot of mall activity, strip malls, and it's off the parkway - but you might see something budget-minded. Many of these hotels are also considered "airport" hotels.

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying Outside Pittsburgh

Just an FYI-the Best Western Parkway Center Inn mentioned in the previous post is now a Holiday Inn Express. The Hampton Inn Greentree is another possibility.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,730 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying Outside Pittsburgh

Since you're traveling via the PA Turnpike, you may want to look at the Monroeville and Cranberry areas. Both locations have a number of hotels ranging from Red Roof Inn/Motel 6 properties to Four Points and Marriott hotels. Both areas also have numerous restaurants and shopping areas, similar to the areas west of town as pointed out above. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying Outside Pittsburgh

Are these cities close enough to the stadium area where the drive would not be too burdensome?

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying Outside Pittsburgh

The Greetree area or Robinson will fit the bill. Greentree is just on the other side of the Ft. Pitt tunnel right off I376. About 15 minutes to the ballpark. There are several places to stay in tthat area. Avoid the Days Inn though.

Just off I79 and PA route 60 (Stubenville Pike) has some places, but this is about 1/2 hour to the ballpark.

Robinson township and out toward the airport is another location, but you are then about 45 minutes to the ballpark.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,020 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying Outside Pittsburgh

NJ: It might help if you take a look at Google Maps or something similar - OR - open the "map view" for Pittsburgh hotels, which is a nice feature. This should give you a feel for the area.

tripadvisor.com/…MAPVIEW

Drive times are variable depending on the time of day, but are limited by the fact tha the easiest way to navigate downtown from the west, is the parkway (I-376).

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying Outside Pittsburgh

I agree with others who suggested checking downtown hotels before deciding to stay in the burbs. Good rates are often available and the convenience and enhanced experience of staying Downtown or on the Northside can be worth the extra cost.

pgh,pa
Level Contributor
179 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying Outside Pittsburgh

Depending upon what day and what time of day the drive from Monroeville can either take 30 minutes or about an hour. You normally exit the turnpike at Monroeville and then drive I-376 into. town and the stadium. At the exit there are a few hotels, HamptonInn, Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn and about 1-2 miles further is a nice Doubletree at the Monroeville Mall. There are many places to eat and shop in Monroeville if that is your choice.

pittsburgh, pa
Level Contributor
9 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying Outside Pittsburgh

You could also try just North on McKnight Road

Hampton Inn

Comfort Inn

About 10 mins to and from the stadium, and a straight shot really to town

York, Pennsylvania...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying Outside Pittsburgh

I went to Pittsburgh last year for a Pirates/Phillies game. I'd strongly recommend Monroeville for hotels. Specifically, I stayed at Red Roof Inn; it's a great hotel for a reasonable price. You have a TON of restaurants (literally any restaurant you can name; I'd strongly recommend King's Family Restaurant for a meal) and you are right by the Turnpike plus only about 15-30 min away from the stadium barring any tunnel traffic in the Squirrel Hill Tunnel