We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel for visit to PItt/CMU?

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel for visit to PItt/CMU?

I am trying to narrow it down between The Residence Inn on Bigelow Avenue, and the Wyndham (which used to be a Holiday Inn) on Lytton Avenue. We will be visiting Pitt and Carnegie Mellon.

The Residence Inn has better reviews, but looks like Wyndham is closer to the campus.

The rate is about the same....Thanks!

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel for visit to PItt/CMU?

I would stay at the Wyndham, because then you'll be able to walk to both campuses and get a good sense of the two schools and what life is like for the students. Good luck with your college search!

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel for visit to PItt/CMU?

We stayed at the Hampton Inn - University Center, 3315 Hamlet Street, during our recent college visit. They have a complimentary shuttle that will take you to both colleges. Their staff were very friendly and helpful. The complimentary breakfast was nice and a definite convenience.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel for visit to PItt/CMU?

Needsavacation,

I will go with my first choice and book the Wyndham. Free breakfast would be a plus, but I want to be able to walk right to the campus. This will give us time to explore what is around Pitt. It looks like they are right across from each other???? We also want to check out Duquesne, but I know we will have to drive to that campus in the downtown area. It's an exciting time for sure!

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel for visit to PItt/CMU?

The Wyndham has a shuttle too, maybe that would get you to Duquesne. There are many busses that go down Fifth Avenue to Duquesne, you could hop on very easily if you do not want to drive and the shuttle doesn't solve your problem.

Pitt does not have a defined campus, it is all over the place in Oakland and the Wyndham is very well located, plus you will be just a few blocks up Forbes Avenue to CMU.

I really enjoyed the college search, sounds like you do too.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel for visit to PItt/CMU?

Needsavacation,

Looks like Duquesne's campus is more defined. Am I right?

I am enjoying the college search. It is much different doing it as a parent. My parents took me to two schools to look. My daughter has 7 on her list!

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel for visit to PItt/CMU?

Duquesne does have more of a defined campus and is definitely worth a visit. We had a scheduled visit so we were provided with a parking pass for one of their parking garages. You might want to check into that as parking is expensive.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel for visit to PItt/CMU?

Thanks flyeagle! I will look into getting a parking pass. How did you get it beforehand? Was it mailed to you?

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel for visit to PItt/CMU?

They emailed the parking pass to my kiddo with other admissions appointment information. If you schedule a campus tour, ask about getting a parking pass.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel for visit to PItt/CMU?

Will do!! Thanks for the info. I will call them tomorrow.

10. Re: Which hotel for visit to PItt/CMU?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 06:19