We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling and MOVING to Pittsburgh ......... HELP!!

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
Save Topic
Traveling and MOVING to Pittsburgh ......... HELP!!

Hello All,

We are moving to Pittsburgh in a couple of months and have a WHOLE lot to do. We are "stuck" right now in a small town in Iowa, but we are lifelong residents of the Kansas City, MO area. A job change is bringing us to Pittsburgh. She will be working at St. Claire Hospital in Mt. Lebanon.

I am hoping a few TA'rs out there might be able to give us a few hints to get us started.

One of the things we miss about KC are the great older neighborhoods, to both possibly live, but more to eat, drink, or shop! I know it's a long shot, but if anyone might be familiar with the Brookside area in KC, or Kirkwood area of St. Louis, that's what I'm talking about. Are there areas of Pittsburgh that have cute little shops, neighborhood bars, etc.? What are they called? Where are they?

Any other information, web sites, anything that you think might help us would really be appreciated!

Thanks!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling and MOVING to Pittsburgh ......... HELP!!

Actually, you are in great luck. Mt Lebanon is exactly the kind of area you are describing in your post. It is one of the original "suburbs" of Pittsburgh. Its just 5 miles (or less) from downtown and on the pubic transit line. Several area of cute shops, good restaurants, bars, etc.

Pittsburgh is truly a city of neighborhoods. Each has a particular flavor. Its one of the city's unique features.

I grew up in the Pittsburgh area and just relocated to Mt. Lebanon last year. Feel free to PM me for more specifics, especially if you have children.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
783 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling and MOVING to Pittsburgh ......... HELP!!

Here are some links describing neighborhoods within the Pittsburgh city limits...

visitpittsburgh.com/essentials/neighborhoods/

pittsburghcityliving.com/neighborhoodList.php

http://www.coolpgh.pitt.edu/living/

... and you can try the "Find Your Perfect Neighborhood Match" feature here:

http://pittsburghcityliving.com/

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling and MOVING to Pittsburgh ......... HELP!!

If your best information will likely come from a real estate agent. They can talk more about your personal needs and budgets, etc. One website I like is www.city-data.com for identifying neighborhoods. Since you've shared your wife will be working in Mt. Lebanon, I agree with #1 that it's a good suburb to check out, but it is pricey on school taxes. Others nearby: Carnegie, Scott Township, or Bridgeville.

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling and MOVING to Pittsburgh ......... HELP!!

Great Help ........ Everyone!!

I've got a lot of homework to do. Our "children" are 20 & 22, so schools are not an issue ..... however, school taxes are. We are probably going to lease / rent for 6 months - year before we buy. We are coming in a few weeks to begin the search.

I'm guessing the hospital will be able to refer us to a real estate agent, but if anyone knows someone who is willing to be a little patient with some Pittsburgh newbies. I also might explore the "Dave Ramsey" endorsed local provider for Real Estate ....... if any of you are familiar with 'Dave'.

Unfortunately, the little I know about Mt. Lebanon was the drive from downtown ..... through the tunnel .... and along Banksville Road (US 19). This was all commercial / strip centers. For buying a home, we always like the idea of an older home, but tend to cave in, in favor of new kitchens and bathrooms, and attatched garages ......... Haha. So, I can see us winding up a little further out and driving in for work. But, we will go in with an open mind.

Thanks, again, for all your help. Any other suggestions or ideas would be awesome!

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling and MOVING to Pittsburgh ......... HELP!!

Check out Dormont--cheaper taxes I think, you can be near public transit, and it seems to be one of the cool places to live now (judging by the fact some of the younger people I know are living there), without having the problems people on the South Side report (major parking problems, rowdy crowds on the weekend, etc.).

Pittsburgh has a lot of little urban neighborhoods but there would be few newer houses there. Probably some though, and a realtor can help you find them.

Good luck, and welcome to Pittsburgh.

You would need to be outside Allegheny County I think to really get your real estate taxes down, but you could live not too far away from St. Clair Hospital.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling and MOVING to Pittsburgh ......... HELP!!

What you saw driviing on Banksville Road is only one part (commercial) of Mt. Lebanon. You need to get in the side streets to see the beautiful, stately homes. You did drive through the Beverly Road shop, a block long commercial strip, which has several good restaurants, including Cafe Io (usually makes various "Best In Pittsburgh" lists.) Uptown Mt. Lebanon is much more like you describe you are looking for. However, as noted above, the school taxes are high.

It sounds as if you like the IDEA of a more urban area but end up going for the amenities of the suburbs. I think you will need to think hard about what you want and then choose areas from there. Pittsburgh is unlike any area in the midwest. The hilly terrain makes for neighborhood boundaries, convoluted traffic patterns and complicated driving. Scot Twp and Upper St Clair (also high taxes) are two 'burbs that may work for you.

One thing I noted regarding real estate agents....most have offices specific to areas and may not be able to help with other neighborhoods. A good rule of thumb when considering locations is to minimize the number of bridges and tunnels required for your daily commute. That leaves you somewhere in the South Hills.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling and MOVING to Pittsburgh ......... HELP!!

One quick comment about the Neighborhood links above..lots of good info and a.fun little survey but it is limited to areas in the city proper. So many of the places recommended above are NOT possible choices.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 17:52
8. Re: Traveling and MOVING to Pittsburgh ......... HELP!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2014, 22:48
Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
605 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling and MOVING to Pittsburgh ......... HELP!!

I should know this as I live in Bethel Park, the township right next to Mt. Lebanon. But one reason we didn't chose Mt. Lebo when we moved here 30 years ago is that it did NOT provide school bus transportation. Not sure if that's changed now. But if you have kids, that's one thing I would sure check out.

Edited: 23 January 2014, 18:04
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling and MOVING to Pittsburgh ......... HELP!!

Mt Lebanon has character, old houses, excellent public safety and distinct neighborhoods with business districts in a few that include restaurants, etc. If your spouse wants to avoid sitting in traffic, I'd highly recommend Mt. Lebanon.