We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coming for a weekend for some baseball need hotel recos

Toronto
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
coming for a weekend for some baseball need hotel recos

I wanted to pose a quick question to see some of the subjective responses. I will also do some research on my own.

Thinking about coming in a couple of weekends to see a baseball game.

I don't know a thing about the city, nor where to stay. Staying right beside the stadium isn't the most important but realizing that I will go to a ballgame and also want to tour some of this great city, where might you recommend I stay?

I don't want to pay $500 a night but $200 or so is acceptable. Less works too!

I welcome all suggestions and thank you in advance

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: coming for a weekend for some baseball need hotel recos

Many discussions on this topic:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?q=hotel+pnc+park&scope=2&ff=352&geo=53449&returnTo=__2F__ShowForum__2D__g53449__2D__i352__2D__Pittsburgh__5F__Pennsylvania__2E__html

Several places within walking distance--a popular choice is the Hampton Suites on Smallman. Free parking, walking distance to the stadium but also located on the edge of downtown, and walkable to the Strip District.

Welcome to Pittsburgh, and enjoy your visit1

Toronto
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: coming for a weekend for some baseball need hotel recos

Thanks for your advice. I checked your reco as well as the omni and both are sold out.

Are hotels typically blocked with some rooms released later? or do they just sell out?

I'm coming from Toronto which isn't that far a drive so i imagine many others are as well and already snagged up hotel rooms

I would appreciate a few more hotel recos similar to this close to baseball and good downtown areas

yes, I will be researching on my own but I also like engaging locals in conversations should more specific questions arise

thanks so much!

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
501 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: coming for a weekend for some baseball need hotel recos

Any of the North Shore or downtown hotels are convenient and walkable to the ballpark. Availability generally depends on events - the first weekend in May, marathon weekend, is booked solid just about everywhere, for example. Good luck and welcome!

Boston
Level Contributor
355 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: coming for a weekend for some baseball need hotel recos

Same question for me, except im looking to stay closer to 100 a night.

Also if someone can let me know which areas on Priceline to bid on that would be great, as im thinking of trying that out.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,617 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: coming for a weekend for some baseball need hotel recos

If you want to try Priceline or Hotwire - read up at www.betterbidding.com - I believe the right bid is still 4* downtown only and you will likely win Omni, Ren, or Doubletree. IF you drop down or expand areas, all bets are off.

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
501 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: coming for a weekend for some baseball need hotel recos

For $100 a night, you're probably looking at Greentree or the Airport area, and driving in to the game. Shouldn't be a problem if you leave early in the day.

South Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: coming for a weekend for some baseball need hotel recos

Help: I'm going for baseball. Baseball and area restaurants are main concerns. I'm able to get a great rate at these two hotels that I've narrowed down to--which one is best option? Sheraton Station Square or Wyndham Grand Downtown Pittsburgh?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: coming for a weekend for some baseball need hotel recos

To me that would be a real toss-up between the two.... the Sheraton is served by both the T (the "subway" that will take you to the stadium, as well as a water taxi. Assuming you will not be here for a long stay, Food wise you have a Hard Rock, a Joe's Crab Shack, Buca di Beppo, and another bar/sandwich place whose name escapes me, plus the elegant Grand Course for meals.

The Wyndham is across the river from the stadium, easily walkable, right in the 'downtown' section, and also has a large number and variety of restaurants from casual to formal within a few blocks.

Just my preference for staying downtown rather than across the river, I would go for the Wyndham.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: coming for a weekend for some baseball need hotel recos

I agree that this is a tough decision. The Sheraton is a lot closer to some places that you might enjoy after the game, since it is right in Station Square. There are many bars and restaurants within a very short walk. However, you would probably take one of the Gateway Clipper boats to the stadium, which could be a nice way to go to/from the stadium.

The Wyndham is right in town, but unfortunately, downtown Pgh doesn't have much to offer after the game ends. Most of the activities that occur near town are not "in" downtown, but rather in the outskirts of town. If going out after the game is not a concern, then I would definitely choose the Wyndham, otherwise, I think the Sheraton would be more fun.

10. Re: coming for a weekend for some baseball need hotel recos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:15