We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pittsburgh Zoo or National Aviary for an afternoon?

new york
Level Contributor
12 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Pittsburgh Zoo or National Aviary for an afternoon?

Traveling from Indiana to NY and figured I stay in Pittsburgh to see either attraction. Which is a better afternoon and where would you suggest I stay. Traveling with my 21 year old daughter. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Indiana
Indiana
United States
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pittsburgh Zoo or National Aviary for an afternoon?

I would definitely head to the Zoo. I really like our zoo a lot, which is why I'd pick it. Are you here for just one night and did you want to stay closer to the city? I wouldn't stay around the zoo (not the greatest area...but the zoo is safe). I would probably stay in Pittsburgh's North Shore area. You could start the day by going to the Strip District and have breakfast at Deluca's. Afterwards, you could head to the zoo, which would probably be about a 15-20 minute easy drive.

There is a Hampton Inn on Smallman St. I've never stayed there, but run past it many mornings and it looks very nice. It would be a short walk to the Strip District.

Mentioned in this post
The Strip District
The Strip District
2,460 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pittsburgh Zoo or National Aviary for an afternoon?

Some nice B&Bs near the Zoo, Highland park/shadyside area. Nice areas.

http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=bedbreakfast&find_loc=Shadyside%2C+Pittsburgh%2C+PA

Edited: 28 April 2014, 15:55
Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pittsburgh Zoo or National Aviary for an afternoon?

Well - it depends on what you want to see - bIrds or all animals.

We found the Aviary fascinating. Its something different from a zoo. You never know what you are going to see or hear. When we were there they had a penguin out walking down the hallway to a presentation area for a program. There was a Mina bird imitating a cell phone ringing and being answered follwed by a mumbled phone conversation.

not Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
389 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pittsburgh Zoo or National Aviary for an afternoon?

Have been both places and you should enjoy either.

My vote would be for the Aviary. Very enjoyable and, if you're into pictures, it's fun to get some great close ups.

Also the area housing the finches has them flying free with you wandering amongst them.

Level Contributor
52 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pittsburgh Zoo or National Aviary for an afternoon?

I just wanted to put my two cents in on this. I just went to the aviary last week for their 21+ night. While all of the above comments are true, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. The aviary is pretty small compared to the zoo. I think we saw everything in under an hour and a half. Granted they didn't have feedings or anything going on. If you really really like birds then this would be a great place to go. I was glad I only paid half price for admission bc of the special event. I think the zoo has more variety and is a lot bigger and has my h more to see and do. It's just preference and what type if experience you're looking for. Hope you Have a great time!

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
657 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pittsburgh Zoo or National Aviary for an afternoon?

I think you get more bang for your buck at the zoo, but the aviary is less crowded on the weekend.

Parkersburg, West...
Level Contributor
39 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pittsburgh Zoo or National Aviary for an afternoon?

I feel like the Aviary was a waste of money! I would totally reccommend the zoo! We were done with the Aviary within 30 minutes.

not Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
389 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pittsburgh Zoo or National Aviary for an afternoon?

People. We can only assume that the OP enjoys birds, in particular, as well as animals in general. Why ask the question otherwise?

I'm also pretty sure that the OP realizes that the Aviary will be a smaller facility than the Zoo.

Yes, you can completely tour the Aviary in less time than the Zoo but that also leaves time to visit the Warhol museum, close by, and/or the Heinz History Center.

As I stated earlier, in post #4; both are enjoyable and worthwhile.

new york
Level Contributor
12 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pittsburgh Zoo or National Aviary for an afternoon?

Thank you so much for your response. I'm a first time Forum user, and think its a great tool. Driving from Purdue University, bringing my daughter homw to NY. figured we would do as you suggest, breafast and the zoo. Then back for the rest of our trip home. Thank you.

Cyndi

new york
Level Contributor
12 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pittsburgh Zoo or National Aviary for an afternoon?

I love them all. I want some good photography opportunities. Will the birds be hard to phootgraph?