We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours of steel mills in Pittsburgh available?

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Tours of steel mills in Pittsburgh available?

Hi. My brother and I are talking of doing a small midwestern city getaway this summer sometime. Pittsburgh seems like a really interesting city for it's scenery and steel mill history. I've always been fascinated by watching steel being processed in huge mills and furnaces. Are there any such companies in Pittsburgh that offer steel mill tours?

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours of steel mills in Pittsburgh available?

Take a look at Rivers of Steel: http://www.riversofsteel.com/

I don't know if there are any tours of any currently operating facilities, but I went on the Carrie blast furnace tour last year and it was fascinating.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours of steel mills in Pittsburgh available?

I doubt you'd be able to get a tour of a working mill. I went on a tour of US Steel's mills a few years back, but we were invited because of the company I worked for and it was a group tour. You could always call US Steel to see if they offer anything, but I really wouldn't count on it. There are too many safety issues to have the general public taking tours of a working mill.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours of steel mills in Pittsburgh available?

Your question reminded me of some great moments in my childhood. My father worked for a steel distribution company & did a lot of work with mills & factories. Whenever possible he would let me come with him on business trips. From the age of 5 or 6 I was familiar with the insides of mills - I can still feel the heat! At 8 I was allowed to operate a forklift (with adult supervision, of course).

This was in the late 1950's & early 60's. I seriously doubt if any kid today could have the same experience.

4. Re: Tours of steel mills in Pittsburgh available?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 05:17