We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 nights stay between Pittsburgh and Washington

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
1 nights stay between Pittsburgh and Washington

Not sure what forum to ask this question on.

Any ideas of a town between Pittsburgh and Washington for a stop over - 1 night.

We'll have a car and are looking for something traditional - I know that's a bit vague but something with a real taste of America - not necessarily touristy.

Many thanks

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 nights stay between Pittsburgh and Washington

It is only a four hour drive from Pittsburgh to Washington DC--you won't need an overnight stay unless you really want to do it that way.

You could go see Fallingwater (Frank Lloyd Wright's best known private home) on the way if you are interested in such a thing.

Seven Springs is a big ski resort not far from Fallingwater, that might be an American thing to do. Nemacolin is a fancy (by which I mean expensive) resort around there too.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 nights stay between Pittsburgh and Washington

Pittsburgh and Washington, DC are just over 4 hours apart so I wouldn't waste the limited time you have allotted for either place (from your other post) to overnight in some small town. In fact, I would argue the Pittsburgh gives you a "real taste of America" anyway. While it's a great city and recently becoming more acknowledged and visited, it's not a tourist destination like NYC, DC or San Francisco, for example. It's more like a conglomeration of neighborhoods and has a small town feel.

If you want to see some small town America on your way, stop for lunch in Bedford, PA or Hagarstown, MD. Or head off course a little and visit the lovely town of Berkley Springs, WV, where you'll find natural hot springs and a few cute restaurants. Note that when you get to Frederick, MD (which has very pretty and historic downtown) you are essentially in the DC suburbs. It's another good place for lunch.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 nights stay between Pittsburgh and Washington

I have to agree with mammiesgirl. It's such a short and easy drive that I would just do it straight. Between DC and Pittsburgh, you're getting a good look at America. Pittsburgh is a city made up of MANY neighborhoods. Each has its own special charm, culture, food, etc. Check out some neighborhoods (Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Southside, Mt. Washington, Strip District, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville) and then enjoy downtown, Oakland, North Side for a look at the young, upcoming city and what makes it that.

However, if by "traditional," you're looking for the stereotypical small town USA, mamiesgirl has some good suggestions for towns that are likely to have a nice little main street with some cool shops and an All-American diner.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 nights stay between Pittsburgh and Washington

I agree with others. Don't waste a night. Instead take a liesurely trip via the non interstate routes to see a bit of Americana and small towns.

From Pittsburgh take US route 30 east to Gettysburg, then take US 15 south to Frederick. Then go into DC via i270. Along the way you will go through some small towns like Ligonier, Bedford, Chambersburg,and Gettysburg in Pennsylvania; and Emmitsburg, Thurmont, and Frederick in MD. It will take a bit longer but it is also scenic. And if you are interested, Gettysburg is the site of one of the most important battles of the US Civil War. The battlefield is a National Park with well laid out "tour" routes to explore.

Leesburg, Georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 nights stay between Pittsburgh and Washington

We did this trip 2 years ago we live in Georgia and went to Pittsburg for an event then to lancaster and went to the Sights and Sounds theatre "it is Christian based plays on the different stories of the bible" they have different ones each year. It is very much worth the money and time. Look at the web sight, even my teenagers enjoyed the play it was so life like and the special effects were awesome. We then stopped in Gettsyburg overnight and toured the battle field, we had a guide from the park drive us on a tour which was about an 1 1/2 hrs and this can be reserved at the park, they will drive your car and gave us a good picture of what actually occurred during the war then drove on to Washington ( we almost didn't go because we thought traffic would be horrible but once we got to Washington we didn't get back into our car until we left for home. We used the hotel shuttle and subway.) Washington was great!!! All the museums etc, there is so much to do and see. Hope this helps.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 nights stay between Pittsburgh and Washington

Passing by to say thank you all for your help

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
783 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 nights stay between Pittsburgh and Washington

For a more scenic route and a view of small-town America mid-trip, you might consider taking the Mon-Fayette Expressway to Uniontown, and US 40 into the Laurel Highlands. Penn Alps Restaurant and the Artisan Village in Grantsville, Maryland would be a convenient mid-trip stop. You would then proceed on I-68 to I-70 and I-270 to Washington, DC

8. Re: 1 nights stay between Pittsburgh and Washington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 22:15