We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation hits snag ~ help needed please

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster County, PA
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Vacation hits snag ~ help needed please

We were planning a relaxed trip to Pittsburgh to see a pirates game (hopefully 8/12). Just found out middle son is going in for surgery Wednesday to remove a tumor (benign we are told) from his femur and he'll be on crutches and for all intents and purposes on the "injured list". We still want to go but need some insiders tips on where we should stay and what else we might be able to do while in and around the area. Just going to spend a couple days and then move along. Poor kid is SO bummed.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation hits snag ~ help needed please

I'm not sure if you were planning on cancelling the Pirates game, but if you were, I don't see why.

Like most modern ballparks, PNC Park is very well outfitted for the disabled.

DISABLED ACCESS

The Pirates are committed to providing every Guest with a comfortable and enjoyable experience at the ballpark, including those Guests with disabilities. To accommodate our Guests with disabilities, PNC Park offers the following:

Drop-off zones located near the ballpark along Mazeroski Way and West General Robinson Street.

Parking for Guests with disabilities in all Pirates parking lots surrounding PNC Park. This parking is available on a first-come first-served basis. Call ALCO Parking Corporation at (412) 323-4455 for more information.

Accessible seating options throughout the ballpark. If an exchange is required for an accessible seating location, please visit any ticket window or visit the Main Guest Relations Office located behind Section 117.

Assisted listening devices available upon request at the Main Guest Relations location near Section 117.

TTY telephones located in the main Guest Relations location near Section 117.

Open-captioned scoreboard to accommodate Guests with hearing impairments.

Elevators conveniently located throughout the ballpark.

Lancaster County, PA
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation hits snag ~ help needed please

Hi there and thanks for your reply. No we are not planning on missing/skipping the game. That is a priority and the basis for our trip. I was wondering more about what else we might be able to do (can't do amusement parks, water parks, tons of walking etc) nearby. So all of our outdoorsy type activities that we would normally do with three active boys is no longer an option.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation hits snag ~ help needed please

Just wanted to make sure as that seemed to be a major part of your trip.

Not sure of the age of your kids but there are three great museums that I'd recommend for kids/teens.

Carnegie Science Center is a lot of fun for kids and young teens. Could be fun for older teens too depending on interests. Also has an iMax theater that has cool movies. Not sure what's playing now or what the current exhibition is. There are a lot of "active" exhibits, such as the submarine, Sportsworks, and others inside the museum that would probably be off limits for your kid that would be in the wheelchair. However, there would plenty of things he could enjoy from a wheelchair.

Carnegie Museum of Natural History has a very good dinosaur exhibit, an Egyptian and a Native American exhibit permanently and is in conjunction with the Museum of Art, which has some pretty good pieces. And some pretty odd ones as well. Not sure what the exhibits are here, but the Natural History museum is a very good natural history museum nationally.

The Heinz History Center is my personal favorite. It has the Western PA sports museum with a lot of cool memorabilia from the Pirates, Steelers, Penguins, and the local colleges. This "museum" takes up a floor of the Heinz History Center, but is still considered a part of the same museum (one entry fee). It also has some cool sections on what makes Pittsburgh special with a ton of things that started in Pittsburgh.

Plus, your whole family can enjoy eating in a ton of unique and great restaurants while in Pittsburgh.

Visit Heinz Field's Great Hall for free. Sign up for a tour of Heinz Field or PNC Park. I'd assume they are wheelchair accessible. Tour the Nationality Rooms in the Cathedral of Learning.

My suggestion would be to rent or purchase a travel wheelchair so you don't have to worry about getting one at each stop you make.

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
499 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation hits snag ~ help needed please

I would also suggest the National Aviary, which is not too far from PNC Park. It only takes about an hour to go through and is a lot of fun. If you are first-timers, I would also suggest the Monongahela Incline and a Just Ducky Tour.

Lancaster County, PA
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation hits snag ~ help needed please

Thanks everyone! Hoping for no surprises during surgery tomorrow. I appreciate the tips. Oh and the boys are 15, 13 and 11 (total sports fans and they LOVE to eat) if that helps with any ideas.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation hits snag ~ help needed please

Take a Gateway Clipper Cruise. There are eating and sightseeing cruises. The sightseeing cruises have narration and give some history and insight about the city.

http://www.gatewayclipper.com/public-cruises/

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation hits snag ~ help needed please

Prayers that your son's surgery goes well.

I second the incline and Gateway Clipper cruise.

If you stay at the Hampton Inn in the Strip District, you'll be close to most everything you want to see and I believe it has free parking.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
270 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation hits snag ~ help needed please

good luck and outcomes with the surgery!!!

you can stay just about anywhere and be within walking access. the area is relatively concentrated and "walkabout" there are only about 10 city hotels so if you did a quick google map pitt hotel search you will see what i mean. any one will do.

there's also a kids museum. https://pittsburghkids.org/

Lancaster County, PA
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation hits snag ~ help needed please

Thanks again! The surgery went well and he is recovering nicely. Only issue at this point is he is on crutches and completely non-weight bearing on that leg. So we are adapting nicely. Thinking we are going to spend two days here, catching a PNC tour and game and then driving up to Cleveland to catch a game there. Hoping for any other tidbits you might have on some non-tourist type neat places to eat or hang out.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation hits snag ~ help needed please

Neat places to eat? You gotta eat at a Primanti Brothers - a Pittsburgh institution.

https://www.primantibros.com/

Their signature thing is fries and cole slaw with every sandwich. Big deal, lots of places offer that, you say. But at Primanti's, they put them ON THE SANDWICH. Sounds wierd, but trust me, it is good. (Sort of like a Rueben sandwich - the combination of ingredients sound disgusting but it tastes great).