We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steelers Vs Buccaneers. How long travel time from airport?

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
10 posts
Save Topic
Steelers Vs Buccaneers. How long travel time from airport?

G'day!

I live in Sydney, Australia. Spending a week in Canada, Whitehorse & Banff. & a week in USA, Orlando. Would love to see a NLF game for the 1st time. Miami, Tampa Bay & Jacksonville all playing away from home while in Orlando from 24-29th September 2014. Accommodation already booked in Orlando with my Wife. She's nice enough to let me fly to Pittsburgh for the day to see my beloved Steelers Vs Buccaneers while she spends the day outlet shopping. But she will be uncomfortable being alone in the evening, so staying overnight in Pittsburgh is out.

Earliest flight 630am, 1 stop arriving 1030am.

Kick off 1pm. Finish 4-430pm?

Latest flight available 635pm. I only have carry on so i guess latest i can check in is 6pm?

I need help with travelling to & from Heinz Field. Do i take a cab or public transport? & how busy will traffic be after the game with a cab or public transport? Will i make a 635pm flight?

Any help greatly appreciated. I've searched google but cant find this information. Thank you.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Steelers Vs Buccaneers. How long travel time from airport?

I wouldn't in my wildest imagination attempt leaving the game and try making it to the airport for a 6:30 flight. Too many variables, the area around the stadium is frequently a traffic nightmare, the Parkway to the airport can back up if someone sneezes at the wrong time, or someone slows to look at a groundhog at the side of the road, the security lines at the airport can easily hit 30 minutes or more, etc.

The 6:35 is not the latest flight. There are some in the 7-7:30 range. I would go for the absolute latest you can.

You can play around with the routes at http://matrix.itasoftware.com/. You can't book a flight here, and will have to go to the airline website to do so. For a multiple airline route, you should have a travel agent do this for you as the coding is quite specific to match the fare from Matrix.

That said, I think I would suggest bolting out of the stadium at the end of the game, taking the T -(our version of a subway), which departs from behind the stadium to the Gateway stop . It will be mobbed, but they do add extra trains for game days,....usually. At the Gateway station, walk as fast as you can to the Wyndham, - two blocks away, and getting a cab from there.

To get TO the stadium... as you wont be rushed with an early morning flight, you could take a cab... or take the public bus, the 28X, which will drop you quite close to the abovementioned Gateway station, and then either follow the crowds and walk over to the stadium, or take the 'T." Between the stadium stop and Gateway the ride is free, either way.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Steelers Vs Buccaneers. How long travel time from airport?

I agree with FCS - it's wishful thinking and fairy dust would get a person from the stadium to the airport at that time of day in a car. Even if you did take a cab, the traffic on the parkway would be backed up.

The best you could hope for it taking the 28X airport flier out of the city as well as into it. The buses have a separate route (the busway) that gets them around the traffic and you might be able to make it from the North Shore to the airport by 5:30.

Remember to have exact change for the bus if you choose to ride it.

The airport flyer schedule can be found here:

http://www.portauthority.org/rt/28x.pdf

Please note the Weekend/Holiday schedule is on the right side of the page.

Sydney, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Steelers Vs Buccaneers. How long travel time from airport?

Thank you fcs659pa and Gypsy3n8 for all your advice with local knowledge.

It’s a nightmare here in Sydney leaving any sporting event or concert. So I imagined it would be a very tight margin. But you both have shown me the quickest way back to the airport & that it is possible.

Buying airplane tickets 6 months in advance means the cost is affordable but also mean no major sports draw has been released. This will be my 4th visit to your beautiful country & I’ve seen so many amazing sights & cities. But never has a chance to see a NFL, NBA or NHL game. Luck hasn’t been on my side as the home team has always played away. So yes, I’m crazy for attempting this! But I’m determined to soak in the atmosphere of a game as I don’t know when I will be visiting the States again. & if I have to travel a fair distance, I might as well watch the team I support.

I have found a 721pm flight to Orlando so I’m good to jog from Heinz Field, catch the metro & have my $3.75 ready for the 28X. Will be just like the Amazing Race ! :)

Thank you both again, much appreciated. Take care…

Edited: 10 August 2014, 22:56
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Steelers Vs Buccaneers. How long travel time from airport?

I personally would suggest jogging directly from Heinz Field into the city to hop on the 28x. The T (what we call our subway) can be very hit or miss after games. Could take awhile to get on it.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Steelers Vs Buccaneers. How long travel time from airport?

Glad you were able to find a later flight!

La Porte, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Steelers Vs Buccaneers. How long travel time from airport?

Ok....just read this post and it looks like I'm in the same situation...I'll be traveling by myself for this same game from Houston....my first time to see a game in Pittsburgh (yes I am I die hard Steelers fan)...The thing that sucks is my flight leaves at 6:35!! Now I'm stressing...

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Steelers Vs Buccaneers. How long travel time from airport?

JCarrasco72 - no later flights you could take? Otherwise, the 28X is your best bet as well.

La Porte, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Steelers Vs Buccaneers. How long travel time from airport?

6:35 was the latest I could find...In order to get a later flight, I'd have to book with a different airline and eat the cost of the flight already booked. (not to mention shell out another $400 + for the new flight)

I'll be staying at the Hampton Inn- University Center and of course I would have to leave my bag there while I was at the game. I wasn't aware that the hotel was not in the direction of the airport. I received another tip to look into booking the Hyatt Place on the North Shore or the Springhill Suites. Fifteen minute walk from the stadium and from there I could catch a cab to the airport. Sounds easy enough, but I'm just hoping that it's doable.

La Porte, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Steelers Vs Buccaneers. How long travel time from airport?

Scratch that last post I made.....both hotels are sold out ...ughhh!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Steelers Vs Buccaneers. How long travel time from airport?

As you appear to be on the 6:35 Southwest flight, something in the back of my mind tells me that Southwest will allow you to cancel and change a ticket without having to forfeit the entire cost.... though paying a change fee .... thus allowing you to take an early morning flight on Monday. You may want to check into that, otherwise I would consider leaving the game at 3:30/4 at the latest to be able to a)get out of the stadium and get to your hotel, and then b) get to the airport and through security.

Looking at Expedia, the Wyndham Grand downtown has rooms available, not cheap but one of the closer ones for doing what you are hoping to do. Or, you could also stay at the Hyatt at the airport itself when you come in Saturday evening. It is a decent hotel .... in the middle of nowhere, but that way you could check out Sunday morning, leave your bag at the desk, and then, on your race back to the airport, you would just stop and pick it up.

Edited: 21 August 2014, 12:45