We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for next week in Pittsburgh with 12 year old girl

Lawrence, KS, USA
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Questions for next week in Pittsburgh with 12 year old girl

I fly into Pittsburgh next Wed evening (8/20) at 9pm with my 12 year old granddaughter. We are staying at the Pittsburgh Marriott City Center and will be attending the afternoon and evening sessions of the Women's PG Gymnastics Championships on Thursday and Saturday at the Consol Center. We will leave on Amtrak close to midnight Saturday night.

What is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel? I used Lyft in Seattle last week with great results. What is the current status of it in Pittsburgh? And what way is best?

Need suggestions for what to do in the mornings and all day Friday using public transportation or in walking distance of hotel.

How much time to allow for picking up luggage at hotel and getting to Amtrak station Sat night? And what is the best way to get there around 11:15pm?

Thanks so much for any and all help!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions for next week in Pittsburgh with 12 year old girl

Lyft and Uber are both fighting rulings by the Pennsylvania Utility Commission to be determined legal. However, they're both still operating as they always have. Don't expect much to change there. Airport to downtown is easy to get a Yellowcab, Lyft, or Uber. I would recommend either Lyft or Uber as Yellowcab has terrible customer service. But, you'll have no problem getting any of those. The cheapest option would be to take the 28X bus straight from the airport to downtown for like $5. I can't remember the exact price.

One of your mornings should be in the Strip District eating at either Pamela's or DeLuca's and walking around the Strip District.

Depending on your luggage, it's an easy walk from your hotel to the train station. Lyft/Uber would also work well. I would not count on Yellowcab at that time of night. Even if you call and make a reservation. Never depend solely on a cab in Pittsburgh.

Lawrence, KS, USA
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions for next week in Pittsburgh with 12 year old girl

How is the best way to get to The Strip area from the Marriott City Center? Also, how to get to the Phipps Conservatory?

Edited: 17 August 2014, 05:20
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions for next week in Pittsburgh with 12 year old girl

The 'best way' for both would probably be your own car....but from what I read, you are not renting one.

Second place would go to a taxi...... getting from the hotel to either Phipps or the Strip would be easy, as there should be taxis at the hotel. Getting back would be a bit of a challenge as you would have to call and wait. Pittsburgh taxi service stinks. Or, try Lyft or Uber to get back.

Third,you could walk to the Strip from your hotel. According to GoogleMaps, it is slightly under 1 1/2 miles each way, doable. You could not walk to Phipps (I have walked from that area to downtown and it is a VERY long walk).

Finally, you could go by bus to both. You can get a bus towards the Strip District on Grant Street, not far from your hotel. For Phipps, you can take a bus out to Oakland, getting off near the Cathedral of Learning/Carnegie Museum at the University of Pittsburgh and walking from there.

Check out the website for the Port Authority of Allegheny County for bus routes and schedules. That site has a planner -- for Phipps, use Carnegie Museum as a destination. Using Phipps will kick it back to you as no nearby stops. Also check out the return as that bus travels on one way streets, so to go back you just need to know you are going to get back on at a different place.

The concierge at the hotel may also be able to help out.

El Cajon, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions for next week in Pittsburgh with 12 year old girl

I am also taking a 12 year old to the gymnastics meet. There is a gymnastics product show or something like that at the convention center you might want to check out. And while I"m here: Is Consol to Convention Center walkable? Or I've heard there may be free shuttles?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions for next week in Pittsburgh with 12 year old girl

The Consol Center to the Convention Center is easily walkable, about .7/mi. As the competition is at the Consol Center, and the product/sales show is at the Convention Center...I would be surprised if there wasn't some sort of shuttle. Call me a cynic, but they will want to help you leave some money behind..... I looked at the website for the competition, but couldn't find anything there, though.

6. Re: Questions for next week in Pittsburgh with 12 year old girl

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 05:18