We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown is sold out 9/15-9/17/06

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
107 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown is sold out 9/15-9/17/06

Why is downtown sold out this weekend? The Steelers play Monday in Florida., so it's not them. What is it?

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown is sold out 9/15-9/17/06

I tried to find out the answer, but really couldn't find any one big event that would explain a sell-out.

I even checked the local newpaper's events calendar for those dates, but unless the "Arthritis Fair: Hip and Knee" is a bigger draw than I think it is, I'm at a loss.

Oh, I just checked something else, and maybe this is the answer: Pitt is playing Michigan State at Heinz Field and the game is televised on ABC. I'm not a big sports fan, so I have no idea if this would draw huge crowds, but maybe other people would know that.

Mentioned in this post
Heinz Field
Heinz Field
1,831 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
501 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown is sold out 9/15-9/17/06

I think Needs a Vacation has hit on it with the Pitt-Michigan State game. Pitt doesn't usually sell out Heinz Field, and Michigan State has lots of rabid fans.

Not sure what the purpose of your visit is, but have you looked at hotels in the neighborhoods? There is the Holiday Inn Express on the South Side and Oakland, the Courtyard by Marriott in Shadyside, and the Hampton in Oakland. Also some nice B&Bs on the North Side, the Priory and the Inn on the Mexican War Streets.

Welcome, good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Heinz Field
Heinz Field
1,831 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
South Side
South Side
232 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Shadyside
Shadyside
144 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown is sold out 9/15-9/17/06

Lots of times over the internet the hotel say it's booked but in reality there are actually rooms still available...so I pick up the phone and call the hotel directly. I've always gotten a room, so rarely do I ever book online anymore, plus I know that I'm getting what I asked for.

Have fun.

4. Re: Downtown is sold out 9/15-9/17/06

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 14:20