We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Manhattan to Niagara Falls

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
driving from Manhattan to Niagara Falls

We are thinking of visiting the US in Jan 2008. We want to drive from Manhattan to Boston then Niagara Falls......Then down through Pennsylvania to Nashville and back up through Washington and Philidelphia back to New York City. We would like to know what the road conditions would be like during this trip and is it worth it doing it this time of year. Thanks

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from Manhattan to Niagara Falls

I'll limit myself to the weather conditions from, say, Niagara Falls to D.C.--and I can confidently say that it is impossible to predict. If next winter is like this one, you'd be fine. But around the lakes, there is a lot of "lake effect" snow which could interfere with a road trip even if there isn't a big storm affecting a larger area. However, if you're not too pressed for time, and could wait it out for a day or so if you had to, then you'd probably be safe enough to plan this.

That is not the prettiest time of year for that road trip, that's for sure.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,354 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from Manhattan to Niagara Falls

Here's just my opinion. I have to tell ya...personally I would not do it. That's just to say I wouldn't do all of that route. I'd pick a place to ski in NY state or shop and shows in NYC - and a trip into the country if the weather turns out to be nice - and stay there pretty much. Have you checked the weather along some of your prospective route today? Winter storm alerts from Albany, NY to Niagara Falls, for example. In Albany it is a balmy 36F and with the wind feels like 27 with icy rain. Syracuse has freezing rain at 25 degrees; Niagara Falls 20 wind chill factor (what it feels like although without wind...where...in a protected area...it's all of 28 degrees...and freezing rain to boot.) You can never tell. With all the freezing rain and snow, which even last week closed down some of the mountain highways running north to south in Pa because of accidents, I personally wouldn't chance it except in an emergency. I wouldn't use vacation time and money...just in case. I realize it's difficult to understand...if you can imagine how difficult it is for some people in the more temperate England to grasp the heat and humidity of the American south...or perhaps some of your Australia....at certain times of year. I lived in that general area for years and love it and the people...but I didn't travel far in it. In fact, I'm just now in touch with some of those people to see how they are doing...many of them still have power:)

When I would do that wonderful route is in the fall. September I think is a good fall-type time. Some of Oct. as well. And soooo much better time to see the farmland and lakes, to be out and about and maybe on the water a bit. Wonderful leaf color.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,354 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from Manhattan to Niagara Falls

P.S. FYI, I do go that route several times a year...but when travelling in the dead of winter we go to spots south of NY unless there's a nice break in the weather and then I head up toward DC but not that much further.

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
499 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from Manhattan to Niagara Falls

That's an awful lot of driving. Boston to Niagara Falls in itself would be a full day, Niagara Falls to Pittsburgh is 4-5 hours and Pittsburgh to Nashville is about 9 hours. And that's if you're really intent on driving, not stopping anywhere. Good luck with your planning.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from Manhattan to Niagara Falls

Sorry I for got to mention we have 10 days to do this trip in, we would not be driving straight through.

6. Re: driving from Manhattan to Niagara Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 09:22