We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Homewood Suites

Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Homewood Suites

My husband and I are traveling to PA next weekend, for a little anniversary get away. He wants to go to Cabela's, in Hamburg. The only hotel I find there is Microtel, so I've been searching in the Reading/Wyomissing area. The best I have found is Homewood and it has good reviews.

Does anyone that is local or has travelled the area before, know if there are other hotels near Cabela's ? Also, someone told my hubby that the Reading area is sometimes not safe, like you should be careful where you stay ? ? I don't know what to make of that. Any suggestions on a couple of the nicest hotel choices would be appreciated.

I'm guessing the Homewood is $$ because is it like an 'extended stay' kind of place ? There was a Hampton Inn, actually maybe there were 2, but one did not have a pool at all. I was maybe hoping for an indoor pool.

Thanks in advance for the help !

Christy in Virginia

Eastern PA
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Homewood Suites

Homewood Suites is actually located in the far suburbs of Reading. No fear for crime needed! There are two Hampton's in Reading area. One is owned by the same outfit that owns Homewood, and is in the same area. The other is close to Reading's mall, and is on the nearer outskirts of Reading. The HS property is very nice, and a hot complimentary breakfast is part of their offerings. I don't think you can wrong there! Their location on west side of town places you within easy drive of Cabela's. Besides independent hotels, there is a Comfort Inn an exit or two west of Cabela's on I78. I don't think that it or the Microtel would even come close to the amenities of the HS! If you can afford to splurge, I don't think you'll be disappointed, as the reviews would indicate!

Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Homewood Suites

Thanks so much for the quick advice..

I think Homewood is my first choice....however, after further research, we found a 2-4-1 deal through the Reading Visitors Bureau. Basically,

if you stay one night, the next night is free.

This is available at 3 hotels that I'd consider which are Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express and Country Inn..

You mentioned there were two Hampton Inn's, but I have only found one. The one I called said they are doing construction.

My question is....how would you rate these 3 places and how are they, distance wise, safety wise, etc. to Cabela's and other shopping, dining in Reading. We will probably want to do the VF Outlets and probably eat at Outback or Smoky Bones.

My gut tells me Hampton Inn would be the best of all 3, though the pics of Holiday Inn, look decent.

Help ! !

Christy

Eastern PA
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Homewood Suites

Sorry to confuse! The Homewood Suites is owned by the High Hotel group. I have been in a number of their hotels, and was never disappointed as a business traveler! They are well run. In Harrisburg, they are running a Homewood Suites and a Hampton side-by-side. When I saw the Papermill Road address for the Hampton, I assumed they had the same arrangement now in Reading. That is not the case! There is only one Hampton Inn in Reading. It is further east on Papermill, and is close to the Berkshire Mall. It is about twenty years old, and to my knowledge is not run by the High Hotel group. The front desk informs me that they had a total renovation two years ago. I am not familiar with the Holiday Inn Express--must be a fairly recent build. All three of these hotels are about fifteen miles from Cabella's. All are on the outskirts of town, with Homewood Suites a little further west than the others--surrounded by fields and a few shopping centers. The Country Inn and Suites is located close to the VF Outlets on the west side of Reading. It is surrounded by businesses, warehouses, and some stable, older communities. I did a brief walkthrough in that hotel a few years ago. It is not as nice as some of their other hotels, but might be okay for your purposes. The other hotels mentioned are also a bit further north and closer to Cabela's. I hope this helps you in your decision-making, and my apologies for the earlier erroneous info!

4. Re: Homewood Suites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 08:23
Get answers to your questions about Reading