We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

State College restaurant reservations

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
200 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
State College restaurant reservations

It is July4th and already all the hotels in State College are booked for a November weekend. Managed to get the Springfield Suites for $299 a night, which seems very steep for a Springfield suite (Hampton Inn wanted $399!!!). Okay blame it on football.

How far in advance do I have to make restaurant reservations for a weekend in November at a place like Zola or Gamble Mill?

We're from New York City and are not there for football. Recommend and suggest. Thanks all.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: State College restaurant reservations

Hi newyorker7,

Well based on your hotel rates you must be coming to town on a football weekend. If you are not coming for the game and all the hoopla that goes along with it I highly suggest you come on a non-football game weekend.

Even when there is no game eating out in this town on the weekend needs planning you will easily wait an hour to be seated on a Friday or Sat night. That being said many restaurants do not take reservations here and those that to will often not take reservations on a football weekend. The two restaurants that you mentioned however, I believe, do take reservations. If you are coming on a football weekend then call now and make your reservations so you get the time that you want.

Again if you are not coming for the game I really suggest you change your weekend for a more relaxed and enjoyable weekend. If you went to school here you know what I am talking about if you didn't it will be crazy crowded, parking will be a nightmare and you may not have the time your looking for. I am happy to answer any questions you have.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
200 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: State College restaurant reservations

Unfortunately, my son has an important fencing meet at Penn State during a football weekend. I guess I will start making dinner reservations now. I thought this is too far ahead and they would lose the reservation by November.I will heed your advise and start calling.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: State College restaurant reservations

Well, you'll get to experience a Big Ten College Football Weekend experience. I'd call and make the reservations now and then call again a week or two before you come to reconfirm. Zola and Gamble Mill are owned by the same people and are "nicer" places to dine and you shouldn't have issues with them mis-placing reservations.

statecollege.com and happyvalley.com are good websites to check out if this is your first visit.

New Freedom...
Level Contributor
244 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: State College restaurant reservations

Gamble Mill is ok but can be hit or miss. If you like Italian, try Alto also owned by the same people as Zola and is closer than Gamble Mill.

5. Re: State College restaurant reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about State College