We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Near State College Spikes -

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Near State College Spikes -

Hi We hope to be traveling to the State College Spikes game the first week in August. I am surprised to see how much hotels are in the area. I am wondeing if the kids have to be back to school early. What towns are within a half of hour that might be nicer and a pool is a must because we will be traveling with three kids (2, 5,8). I am also looking for things to do wtih the kiddos within an hour and half of the State College area.

State College...
Level Contributor
214 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Near State College Spikes -

Well, you're really not going to find any hotels with or without pools within half an hour of State College because you have to drive about an hour to find the next town with any amenties, I'm afraid. I'm not sure what your definition of "towns that are nicer", but State College is certainly a nice, safe town in most everyone's book. The college students will not yet be back in force until the middle of August, although activity picks up a little what with football practice starting and some international students arriving to get acclimated. Downtown State College is a cool place to wander around, especially before the Fall semester gets going...when we townspeople like to go out and about!

Maybe if you mention a budget or price you're seeking, you might find some less expensive hotels in the area. There are some newer and reasonably priced places, like the Hampton Inns, the Sleep Inn, Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Express and a few others, maybe even the Days Inn on S. Pugh Street, which is downtown and has a big indoor pool. The Ramada Inn on S. Atherton Street has a big indoor pool and atrium area that families seem to enjoy, too.

As far as activities for the kids, I can think of several within the hour and a half drive..there is DelGrosso Park www.delgrossos.com in Tipton, PA, which is a quick drive south on I-99. This is a family-owned and operated amusement park with a water park, too, and very good food made by the DelGrosso family. Your kids are the perfect age for this park. There is also Lake Raystown www.raystownlake.com about an hour away, near Huntingdon, PA, with a big waterpark right on the lake. There is a sandy beach and lifeguards for swimming, boating, fishing, picnic areas, etc. It's a huge 26-mile long lake.

There is also Penn's Cave www.pennscave.com about a half hour away with the only boat ride through a cavern with stalactites, and some fun wildlife exhibits and a gift shop with Indian artifacts, etc., that would entertain you and your kids for half a day.

And within a short walk from Medlar Field where the Spikes play is the Penn State All Sports Museum in Beaver Stadium which is fun. Good luck!

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
997 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Near State College Spikes -

Penn State runs a nature center about 20 minutes away from State College. They have a raptor rehabilitation center and lots of snakes and turtles inside the nature center--best of all, it's free! Here's the link:

http://www.outreach.psu.edu/shaverscreek/

You can also swim at the lake at Whipple Dam State Park, about 10 minutes further from Shavers Creek (making it 30 min from State College):

…state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/whippledam.aspx

PA state parks are also free.

My kids enjoy Growing Tree Toys, right on the corner of Allen and Beaver downtown. Toy stores are becoming a rarity these days, aren't they? The public library, on the opposite corner, is also a popular stop, believe it or not--there are lots of books and puzzles and toys, and it makes a nice place to relax and read for awhile.

As for hotels, the prices for that week ($90-140) look to be on the reasonable side. You should see the prices for a football weekend! We've enjoyed the hotels at Williamsburg Square (Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Express). I found the inside of the Ramada loud, but it does have an indoor pool that the kids enjoyed. Toftrees gets bad reviews, but their prices are reasonable and they have a really nice outdoor pool. The Fairfield Inn by Marriott also looks nice, but I haven't stayed there yet.

Good luck with your planning!

PA
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Near State College Spikes -

The PSU natatorium has public swimming in both the indoor and outdoor pools. Check their website for availability. It is an awesome pool.

4. Re: Near State College Spikes -

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about State College