We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendations (days inn,Fairfield or Penn stater?)

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel recommendations (days inn,Fairfield or Penn stater?)

Heading to Penn State for a college tour on Good Friday w/my family. Will arrive late Thurs & tour the campus& town on Fri beforebheading back that night. Not sure if parking on campus is an issue. Deciding between Days Inn ( can walk to campus & get a feel for college town but sons reviews) ($99) vs Fairfield inn (good reviews free breakfast for $97) or The Penn Stater (good reviews, shuttle to campus $104). Any recommendations?

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel recommendations (days inn,Fairfield or Penn stater?)

The Fairfield Inn would be your best bet. It is a newer hotel and is a good value.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel recommendations (days inn,Fairfield or Penn stater?)

We've enjoyed both the Penn Stater and the Fairfield Inn. The Fairfield Inn is a little farther away from campus, but it might be helpful to check out the shopping/dining facilities that are out that way.

I don't think parking will be much of a problem. We like to park in one of the town parking garages--usually Pugh St--in town and then walk to campus. This would be good if you were taking the self-guided tour and wanted to see the town and the central part of campus. If you're getting a tour led by admissions, you'll want to find out where their tour begins and what they recommend for parking--if it starts by the Shields Building, that's a bit of a walk from town.

State College...
Level Contributor
214 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel recommendations (days inn,Fairfield or Penn stater?)

The Fairfield is the newest hotel and very nice with a great brew pub/restaurant right next door, Otto's. However, it is the furthest from campus, which is only about a mile or so, not a problem if you have a car. You can park on campus at either the Nittany Lion Inn garage off Park Avenue, or at Eisenhower Garage more on mid-campus, or in the HUB parking garage. Look at a campus map online through the PSU website.

The Days Inn is right downtown and provides easy walking to not only campus but many different stores and restaurants. It is the oldest hotel around, and I personally don't know how good the rooms are anymore. I'd check out the posts and reviews on TripAdvisor to see. It is definitely convenient. There is free parking in their lot, some of which is covered.

The Penn Stater is very modern and just a short hop to the main campus. It is right off the University exit of I-99, on the far end of campus past Beaver Stadium.

Have fun while in State College!

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel recommendations (days inn,Fairfield or Penn stater?)

The Days Inn is quite nice (I think it used to be a Sheraton). I am not sure if the renovations are complete at this time. If so, then I would suggest staying there as it is conveniently located near the university and there are several restaurants nearby.

5. Re: Hotel recommendations (days inn,Fairfield or Penn stater?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about State College