We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in rental villa in Strasburg - safe?

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Staying in rental villa in Strasburg - safe?

I dont mean this question to sound offensive in anyway, I am hoping to stay in Strasburg with my two young children (5yr and 2yrs) in a rental villa. From looking at the villas location on google earth it is one house on its own, on a road with lots of farmland surrounding it. My question is, will it be safe for me and my children to stay here or are we better off in a hotel? I am talking about the risk of theft/burglary etc with being in a secluded spot. Is Strasburg a safe area? I would love to stay in Strasburg as it looks beautiful. Thanks for any help/reassurance anyone might be able to give.

Strasburg Scooters
Historical & Heritage Tours, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours, Equipment Hire
Choo Choo Barn
Speciality Museums
5 replies to this topic
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in rental villa in Strasburg - safe?

Strasburg borough (and more rural Strasburg Township, which surrounds the Borough, and is probably where your 'villa' is) are reletively low crime areas. I would not be concerned about safety. Of course, as is always the case, you should lock the doors when you leave the property, and not leave valuables in plain sight in your rental car if it is parked in the open-rather than in a garage.

Frankly, the risk of a burglary, would probably be higher (though still low) if you were staying in a hotel.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in rental villa in Strasburg - safe?

Just a little more reassurance--I would have no worries with staying outside of Strasburg, and I've lived in the central Pennsylvania area my whole life. Of course you want to take common sense precautions as suggested above. The property probably has a "dusk to dawn" light that comes on automatically in the evening. You may also want to leave a porch light on for reassurance if you will be coming back after dark. Good luck with your planning! What time of year are you traveling?

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in rental villa in Strasburg - safe?

Thank you thats great. We are planning August 2015, going to Philadelphia, Hershey, NYC, Washington DC and Bermuda too. It will be really good to see a different part of the USA by going to Strasburg as we have only been to California and Florida in the USA before. The scenery in Strasburg looks beautiful.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in rental villa in Strasburg - safe?

Be sure to check the local tourist website www.padutchcountry.com for some ideas.

Plenty of activities for young kids from Dutch Wonderland (an amusement park geared towards young children-its actually probably better suited for your kids than Hersheypark)) to the Strasburg Railroad, Choo Choo Barn, Raliroad Museum of Pennsylvania and Cherry Crest Adventure Farm all just east of Strasburg, and al good for young kids

Also, don't forget Hands on House about 20 minutes away- indoor activities for pre- schoolers.

Edited: 26 June 2014, 15:54
London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in rental villa in Strasburg - safe?

Thanks so much, we have Dutchwonderland on our list and I had forgotten about Cherry Crest Farm so can add that to the list. Thanks so much for the other suggestions I will check them out. My Son loves trains so i'm sure the train museum will be a hit .

Reply to: Staying in rental villa in Strasburg - safe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Strasburg
More Strasburg Topics