We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 month no car--doable?

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tacoma, Washington
1 post
Save Topic
1 month no car--doable?

I'm coming in for a rotation at the residency program at memorial hospital and I won't have a car. I have housing at the hospital, but as far as getting groceries etc is this the kind of town where that will work for a month?

9 replies to this topic
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 month no car--doable?

Memorial Hospital is located in a somewhat residential area. It's been a few years since I spent any significant amount of time in York but the closest grocery store I can recall would be a Giant Food Store at 2415 E Market Street which would be a little over 2 miles. York does have a public transportation bus system called Rabbittransit. Unfortunately, I don't have any personal experience using it so I would suggest checking their website to see if you could utilize it to get around.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 month no car--doable?

Although I will defer to York residents, if any weigh in, I would not do this without a car. The Hospital is not in downtown York, but rather is near Route 83, on the east side of the city. There is bus service every half hour during the week, every hour on weekends to downtown York.(via Rabbit Transit) From there you could take other routes.

I believe for a month you will find this cumbersome and inconvenient

There don't appear to be any supermarkets within easy walking distance.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
450 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 month no car--doable?

Definitely would rent a car. Relying on the bus is inconvenient and you cannot walk to the grocery store or really anywhere else safely with busy streets and intersections.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1 post
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 month no car--doable?

Memorial Hospital is in a nice residential neighborhood, but there really isn't much in walking distance. I would check out the RabbitTransit info to see how convenient it will be to rely on the bus. For one month, it might not be that bad. Market Street has all the conveniences you absolutely need (including bus stops near the strip malls). If it were going to be longer than a month, it might be more difficult. Good luck!

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 month no car--doable?

Rent a car only because of the location. I live approximately 3 miles from the hospital so I'm quite familiar with the area. There aren't any conveniences within walking distance other than a laundromat and York Little Theatre .

2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 month no car--doable?

Rent a car only because of the location. I live approximately 3 miles from the hospital so I'm quite familiar with the area. There aren't any conveniences within walking distance other than a laundromat and York Little Theatre .

Save Reply
7. Re: 1 month no car--doable?

Not sure when you were coming but pick up the rabbittransit Hop and Go booklet. Can get pretty much anywhere by bus. Also public transportation (with flexible scheduling) can get you to DC, Baltimore, Gettysburg.

Save Reply
8. Re: 1 month no car--doable?

Not sure when you were coming but pick up the rabbittransit Hop and Go booklet. Can get pretty much anywhere by bus. Also public transportation (with flexible scheduling) can get you to DC, Baltimore, Gettysburg.

9. Re: 1 month no car--doable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 03:35

Reply to: 1 month no car--doable?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about York
Recent Conversations