We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been to Block Island...Water Street Inn? Good or Bad?

New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Never been to Block Island...Water Street Inn? Good or Bad?

I have never been to Block Island and I just booked the Water Street Inn for the end of August. Has anyone been there recently or know anything about it? I read that Water Street gets very noisy. Will I regret my choice?

Mentioned in this post
Block Island
Block Island
Rhode Island
Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never been to Block Island...Water Street Inn? Good or Bad?

Water Street is the main drag of BI. It runs along Old Harbor, where most of the ferries dock and a great deal of the shops, restaurants, hotels, etc are located. The inn you speak of is on the upper floors of a popular microbrewery/restaurant called the Mohegan Cafe; fear not, the clientele there is from a broad demographic range but it's a "mature" crowd. The place is pretty well emptied out by 10 PM or the end of a Red Sox game, whichever is later.

Sound travels in strange ways on the island. You could be staying in the back of the building and not hear a thing. As a rule there aren't mobs of carousers wandering about aimlessly. BI has introduced newer and stricter noise ordinances this year, and the main offenders such as Ballard's are certain to come under close scrutiny. I can say this because the complaints have been many and loud over the past year. No business owner is going to risk the loss of their liquor license or entertainment permits over a few decibels, not when they have less than half a year to earn their keep for the full 365 days.

I can't offer personal insights on the Water Street Inn since I've never climbed the stairs to see for myself. Have you checked the TA reviews?

Mentioned in this post
Ballard's
Ballard's
78 Reviews
Block Island, RI
New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never been to Block Island...Water Street Inn? Good or Bad?

I did check the TA reviews but unfortunately they are from awhile ago. But thanks for your insight.

Narragansett
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Never been to Block Island...Water Street Inn? Good or Bad?

I stayed there a couple of years ago, and it was pretty scary. The rooms, floors and baths were dirty and the furnishings old with gross bedspreads and sheets. Ask if they have renovated recently, if they haven't, then I would not stay there.....it's like an old low-class boarding house

Get answers to your questions about Block Island