We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Block Island Summer Vacation for 4 single women, 29 - 33...

New York City
6 posts
Save Topic
Block Island Summer Vacation for 4 single women, 29 - 33...

Hi there,

I'm thinking about going to Block Island for a week in August. The group will be 3 - 4 single women, we are all 29 - 33. We would love recommendations on somewhere to stay that would be a good match for us. We are not going looking for action :) but it would be nice not to be the only single youngish people in a sea of families and or couples. Is that possible? We just want a fun summer vacation in a beautiful location, with local flavor, the occassional cocktail and yummy food (from fresh seafood to pizza). Cheaper is better, of course, but it would be good if lodging was less than $75 per person per night. Suggestions?

Block Island sounds good from recommendations and research, but it is not set in stone. If there is something else that would be a better match that you know of please suggest it! We're coming from Manhattan. I LOVE great tips on places to hang out, eat, see and stay.

Thanks!

New York City
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Block Island Summer Vacation for 4 single women, 29 - 33...

By the way, a house rental would be great, but I'm not sure if it's too late???

Bristol, Rhode...
Level Contributor
484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Block Island Summer Vacation for 4 single women, 29 - 33...

Not sur eon pricing but Ballard's Inn is a great place.Especially for the age group that you guys are..They are waterfront with their own beach and they have a great place to grab a drink or two...But browse the website below to find out more info..

http://www.ballardsinn.com/home.php

Another great site you can check out for more info would be at the address below...

http://www.blockisland.com/directory

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Block Island Summer Vacation for 4 single women, 29 - 33...

The Harborside Inn and the National Hotel are two other places which have comparatively cheap rooms and are right at Old Harbor. I'm thinking the National might be a bit more to your liking than either the Harborside or Ballard's. My sis and bro-in-law stayed there on a wedding anniversary trip when they were in their late 20's and loved it. The majority of guests tend to fall into that age category, from what I've observed. I call it the "old enough to know better, young enough to not care" group. You'd find plenty of unattached single folks in the bar or dining room there, as well as sociable young couples, and if you like a high-energy (in other words loud) atmosphere the National fits the bill. The crowd at Ballard's skews more toward the fake-ID set, out to get trashed and hook up, but there's a mix of people to be found there too.

A lot of people have been less than kind about the rooms at the National, but at least some of that has to do with expectations. If you don't go in looking for cutesy wallpaper and curtains and everything covered with doilies and looking antique, you won't be disappointed LOL. By 1 AM all the noise from downstairs has died down, too.

Other watering holes you might enjoy are McGovern's Yellow Kittens (great deck), Captain Nick's, Club Soda, the Mohegan Cafe, and Smuggler's Cove. Then there's Juice n' Java for coffee and snacks 'til 1 AM.

If you and your friends haven't been to Newport, that's also a fun place for the unattached who aren't necessarily out to find The Right One. You might want to think about taking a day trip over there from BI, since there's a Newport-BI ferry operating every day, early on in the week. Then if Newport feels more to your liking, you could always check out of your place on the island and spend the rest of the time there.