We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cops & Locals

1 post
Save Topic
Cops & Locals

Block Island is the worst place I have ever taken a vacation to. Don't plan on renting a house for a week/weekend, because all you will deal with is annoying neighbors who call the cops if your even standing outside after 10 pm. Then the cops come and threaten to kick you off the island if you disobey their are anyone making noise in or outside the house after 10. Guess what Block Island your economy is based on tourism, so get off your high horse and leave the people that are spending thousands of dollars on your crappy island alone. With out tourists you would all be screwed. Your beaches aren't anything to brag about and neither is anything else on your island, I'd rather be on Cape Cod any day and wouldn't he to spend $10 on a jar of mayonnaise, like you do on BI. Don't bother going to BI you will just be way over charged for everything and deal with annoying people everywhere you go. F*ck you Block Island!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cops & Locals

narinf85, I'm very sorry you had a bad time. I'm not a native, and go to the island maybe 2 or 3 times a year for at least several days at a time. I think some of your issues might be well grounded. That said, Block Island is not Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket, or the Cape. There are no chain stores or restaurants, ok maybe Ben & Jerry's. But it is a different vibe than the other big 3. As for the local police, many have been complaining that they haven't been doing enough. I don't know where you stayed, or near whom, so can't comment on any police activity. Many people do mistake it for something it isn't, but then they should respect it for what it is. I would say what it is but no definition is quite right, which is why so many people keep returning year after year.

JDP

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cops & Locals

Looks like the cops did a great job looking out for the TAXPAYERS who foot the bill. NO one gives a crap for absentee owners who rent out to idots.. Those who have no consideration for others should absolutely vacation elsewhere. Your smoke, your noise, your trash... if you think they are someone else's problem, please do NOT come here!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cops & Locals

I'm always suspicious when someone comes here and makes a first time post like this one.

I'll guarantee there is much more to this story then what narin tells us. There's always two sides to every story, right?

They were probably drinking like fish, swearing like soldiers, blasting the music so loud that it could be heard on Long Island, and being completely disrespectful of others.

Makes me wonder if he would be trashing B.I., named one of the last 12 Great Places in the Western Hemisphere, if he had stayed sober enough to remember anything except the cops showing up?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cops & Locals

I have been a regular/yearly vacationer at Block Island since 1991. I was young and single then and now have a wife and 2 children. I have stayed at hotels, and mostly rented houses and have NEVER had the experience in dealing with the police. That said, if the police gave you a hard time, it was for a reason. My advice to you is stay away from Block Island. We don't need you jerks or your money!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cops & Locals

But this person seems so pleasant and well bred. How can anyone challenge his story?

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,094 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cops & Locals

I've been coming to Block Island for years and I love its reputation as a quiet, family-friendly getaway where my daughter can actually sleep peacefully at night.

So I may actually be the kind of person who would have called the cops on narinf85.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cops & Locals

Glad you had a horrible time. Enjoy the cape next year.

I've been going to the island every year since I could walk. Multiple times. I have a loud family and we often rent in residential areas with locals and tourists alike. Never had an issue like this whatsoever. I barely see cops when there, let alone have run-ins with them. Sounds like the cops were doing their job, and a good one at that.

8. Re: Cops & Locals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2011, 06:17