We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report of Block Island August 2010

Durham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
42 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report of Block Island August 2010

All, here is my brief trip report of our recent trip to Block Island. My boyfriend and I took the high speed ferry from Point Judith Thursday 8/19 at 4:35. Great time, it wasn't crowded at all! We met another couple for the week-end. We stayed at The Blue Dory Inn. We've been to Block but never stayed there - I HIGHLY recommend it. The rates were reasonable ($225/night plus tax) which includes wine and snacks each afternoon at 5:30, a wonderful breakfast with fresh fruit, home made muffins, scones, and 1 hot entree that varies daily, and free use of beach chairs and towels! I now love this place. Dinner Thursday was at Finn's. We ate out on the upper deck and watched the boats. Very relaxing and the yellow fin tuna was fantastic.

Friday we enjoyed breakfast, then a couple hours of relaxing on the beach just a few steps away from Blue Dory. Washed up and walked around Old Harbor. Shopping and ice cream. We stopped at The Ice Cream Shop righ in the center of Old Harbor, based on a recommendation from Trip Advisor. In this case, I disagree, the ice cream there was quite average. I suggest Ben and Jerry's, which is what we did Saturday. Friday lunch at Beach Head - yummy food but we sat inside instead of waiting for an outside table. You have to get there early or not be too hungry and willing to wait. Dinner was at The Oar, in New Harbor. GREAT yellow fin tuna and great views of the setting sun on the water. Nice area with picnic tables and benches to sit while waiting for a table for dinner - they do not take reservations.

Saturday we had the wonderful breakfast at Blue Dory again, which included HOT blueberry bread pudding! Then a couple of hours on the beach before checking out. We were able to leave our luggage in the front parlor all day while walking around before catching the ferry back at 3:30. Lunch at Sharkey's. Good lobster BLT.

It was a quick couple of days but I wanted to share some of the highlights - offer up suggestions of places to eat and stay. Hope this helps.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report of Block Island August 2010

Great report sgcn!! Seems you hit all my favorite spots also. Glad you had a good time!!

JDP

Durham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
42 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report of Block Island August 2010

I KNEW you'd be the first to reply. Yes, we hit the standards, and they were all wonderful. Our timing worked out perfectly, seems Wednesday was raining over there and I suspect Sunday was as well.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report of Block Island August 2010

LOL! (I'm old enough to question if I used the right abbreviation but if I didn't it I had a good laugh when I saw "KNEW" Thanks. And yes, your weather was good!)

Just saw an interesting special from the National Hotel. Sunday thru Thursday, $199.00 per night including round trip ferry, dinner, and continental breakfast. I love their deck for a meal, and the food is good too. I soured on them a little when we stayed on the second floor last year because of the noise, but next month I am tempted.....

JDP

Durham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
42 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report of Block Island August 2010

WOW - that is a heck of a deal! The National is a great place, at a great location, but I would be concerned about the noise as well, except that you would be there after Labor Day, so it might not be too bad. I am now sold on the Blue Dory. The breakfast and happy hour alone make the cost a great value, and I loved sitting on the beach for a couple of hours each morning before heading into town to shop and stroll. We go for a week-end most summers, and I'll be sure to book at Blue Dory again in 2011. Now all I have to do is wait that long :)

5. Re: Trip Report of Block Island August 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2011, 06:27