We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap great place to stay for a few people on block island

New York City
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
cheap great place to stay for a few people on block island

Greetings! I'm going to Cape Cod and then Block Island with a friend this summer.

Any suggestions of great cheap places to stay?

Thanks

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheap great place to stay for a few people on block island

There are great places to stay but cheap isn't always the case during the summer. First, what kind of a place are you looking for? Block Ilsand isn't like the Cape. There are no chain hotel/motels. Many of the places are guest houses, old hotels or B & B's. Most places require a 2 night minimum on weekends, though you can get better deals mid week.

Let us know what you are thinking of and we can give you a better idea.

Thanks

JDP

New York City
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cheap great place to stay for a few people on block island

I have very limited funds...will be coming with a friend...am looking for under

$100 a night total...or at most..

We are staying in hostels in Cape Cod.

Thanks...

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheap great place to stay for a few people on block island

I think that would be impossible on BI in the summer. WHy not stay at the hostel in Newport, and take the ferry to BI for the day.

Edited: 29 June 2011, 16:23
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheap great place to stay for a few people on block island

I totally agree with Hilside's suggestion. The only thing you're going to find under $100.00 is a sand dune, or a cove along one on the trails and since there is no camping the authorities don't look too kindly upon that.

JDP

New York City
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cheap great place to stay for a few people on block island

thanks i was actually thinking of that....do you know if the hostel is nice?

do you know things to do in the area....could you take a ferry back and forth..a couple of days?

anyway...let me know...thanks...suki

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheap great place to stay for a few people on block island

I don't but since it is Newport, I can't imagine that it isn't.

Yes, you could take the ferry back and forth daily if you wished.

JDP

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheap great place to stay for a few people on block island

Tons to do in Newport, more than on the Cape even. The ferry usually runs straight to BI. BI is lovely but it's a quiet peaceful island. A day or two would be fine. The Hostel has a website, and it looks like a very welcoming place, although I'm sure it fills up quick.

New London CT
Level Contributor
60 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cheap great place to stay for a few people on block island

Hi

I am on the budget too, but not 100$,,,,Now do I realy need the car in BI? Cause to get on ferry w car cost a lot, we live in NL, CT so we could just take cab from home, otherwise we would have to drive to RI and take ferry from there cause our ferry doesn't take cars,,,We are planning get there sunday (july30), leave on tuesday, just couple days to relax (me and my DH). Is there any nice places to stay close to ferry, beach and restaurants? I don't look fancy, I just look clean and maybe with nice view,,,

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cheap great place to stay for a few people on block island

No, you don't need your car on the island. The island is approx. 8 miles by 2 miles. It is relatively easy to bike, and of course moped. All the cabs offer tours and will stop at the major spots.

What concerns me is that you waiting so late to find a room. Fortunately because it is Sunday to Tuesday you might get lucky, but I would book something today. Yes, there are plenty of places in Old Harbor, near the ferry dock, but I can't recall if New London docks in Old Harbor or New Harbor. If New Harbor take a cab over to Old Harbor, about a 5 minute ride, where most of the inns. B & B's, etc are. Pick out a few spots on line that look good and after narrowing down a few give let us know and we can tell you more about them.

JDP

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cheap great place to stay for a few people on block island

I don't believe any of the ferries dock in New Harbor anymore. Even the hi speed from New London.