We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Weekend Getaway with the Girls

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Long Weekend Getaway with the Girls

I have been reading through the forum here about Block Island and I've found some great tips. We are planning on coming around 9/29 - 10/2. I still have a few questions though...

1. Best place to rent mopeds?

2. Should we bring the car and our own bikes? WIll we have a problem parking the car somewhere while we are there or should we just leave it at the ferry dock?

3. Are there any spa type places on the Island for some pampering?

4. Best hotel for 4-6 girls in their late 30's (not too expensive...around $200/night)?

5. Best beach for enjoying the sun, sand and surf?

Thanks so much! I haven't been to Block Island for about 8 years and even then I was only there for a day, but I loved it!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Weekend Getaway with the Girls

Well ,fantastic questions, lets see what I can answer

1. As for mopeds, you'll practically bump into them after you get off the ferry. Best place is just one block, (a very small block), off the main street as you come off the ferry. I'm not sure of the name but they will have you do a test drive before you take a moped out. Very important. While easy to drive, you'd be surprised at how some have trouble. Water Street is the main street in front of the ferry. The mopeds will be on Wheldon Way.

2. Most every place you stay will have some parking if you bring a car. But if you do mopeds then a car isn't necessary unless you plan on driving them every day. A car makes getting around easy but of course takes away the fun of the fresh air. The island is only 7 by 3 miles large. Skip the car if you can and stick to the mopeds. Remember too, you'll need reservations for the car.

3. Koru Eco Spa is also on Water Street, just off from the ferry. Visit their website at www.koruecospa.com.

4. Best hotel is a tough one. Don't know how many of you are bunking together. Look into the National as the best bet, or the Spring House as it does have suites.

5. To your right as you get off the ferry in Old Harbor will be Crescent Beach. Actually it is a number of different named beaches all joined together to form, yes, you guessed it, a crescent. If you stay in Old Harbor it will be a very short walk away.

Hope this helps! Enjoy!!

JDP

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Weekend Getaway with the Girls

You do realize that that late in the season the island is going to be pretty dead (although lovely)? Just want to make sure you're not looking for nightlife. That end of things pretty much dies after Labor Day. And the beach is going to be chilly....water temps still pretty good but late Sept-early Oct is not really beach weather in New England.

3. Re: Long Weekend Getaway with the Girls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 11:17