We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Race Week 2013 and a Wedding?

West Islip, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Race Week 2013 and a Wedding?

Hi there!

I'm working on planning my Block Island wedding for 2013. Our original date that we picked, June 22, turns out to be the first day of Race Week in 2013. I've never been to BI during Race Week, so I'm not sure what the island is like during that time. I want my guests to love the quaint, quiet Block Island that we've grown to love.

So my question for the Block Islanders is - would you plan a wedding during Race Week? Or avoid it like the plague? ;-)

Thanks!!

Heather

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,778 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Race Week 2013 and a Wedding?

Good question. I'll be honest, not many locals visit this site and I haven't been during race week. You might want to check the Block Island Times, check back editions for information on it, or even call the Block Island Chamber of Commerce for their thoughts. Where are you staying on the island? Have they given you any thoughts?

Congratulations and good luck!!

JDP

Block Island, Rhode...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Race Week 2013 and a Wedding?

HI Heather,

One other thing to keep in mind is that Race Week 2013 is the 25th Anniversary of Storm Trysail's Race Week. They are planning extra events becuase it is an anniversary year. That being said, the first Saturday is usually when boats are arriving and it isn't really over the top crazy.

I got married in June, on Block Island, and it was beautiful!!

I would not "avoid it like the plague" but I might look into the possibility of the weekend before.... only becuase it is the 25th Year.

Good Luck and be sure to get a BI Wedding Guide from the Block Island Times (you can get it from their web site)....

West Islip, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Race Week 2013 and a Wedding?

Thank you so much for your answer! Being that we'll have guests staying for a few days after, and we're extending our time on the island as our honeymoon after the wedding, I think we'll push it a week earlier in June so that everyone gets to see the Block Island that we know.

I really appreciate your advice :)

Block Island, Rhode...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Race Week 2013 and a Wedding?

Hi,

We run a bar out here and this is a big year for Race Week, so the bars get a little wild at night, but watching the sailboats race daily is an incredible sight to see. All of the sailors are racing all day then at the tent at the Oar til around 8pm. At that point a lot will flood into the restaurants, then to the bars. Where are you getting married?

If you have any wedding related questions about the island, please feel free to email me at captainnicksbi@gmail.com.

Happy Planning!

Captain Nick's

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,778 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Race Week 2013 and a Wedding?

Captain Nick, glad to see you on the site. We need more locals like you participating.

A few words of advice. First, don't give out your personal e-mail. People can e-mail through Trip Advisor. Second, and most important, you can't promote your bar. You can say you run a bar on the island, and of course recommend other places, but the powers that be which monitor responses, not me by the way, will frown on you mentioning your spot, and possibly delete it. I of course can recommend you, and will you a shout out now that Captain Nick's is an institution not to be missed.

Take care

JDP

6. Re: Race Week 2013 and a Wedding?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 07:15