We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day itinerary

Northern New Jersey
Level Contributor
165 posts
227 reviews
Save Topic
1 day itinerary

We are staying in Newport for 3 nights but want to spend 1 day over in Block Island. Ferry leaves Newport at 9 a.m. and leaves BI at 4:45 p.m. Any plans / ideas would be helpful when exploring Block Island in 6 hour. Besides the Mohegan Bluffs, any other recommendations (places for lunch, sights to see & explore, beach to relax). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks TA.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day itinerary

Definitely the lighthouse, the beaches, the farms, the views of the Atlantic, just the island in general. Best thing is to get around, by bike, or moped, or taxi. It's all lovely.

Edited: 11 June 2012, 00:37
Northern New Jersey
Level Contributor
165 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day itinerary

Thank you for the post. I see that you are from Jamestown...we are staying in Jamestown for three nights and have been to Newport 3 times (that's where we got engaged). We have seen pretty much all of the touristy sights around Newport...any local advice of spots that we should check out in and around Newport? Thanks again.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day itinerary

Well, you can't beat a day on Block Island, it's a great getaway and a special place to be as a couple my friends tell me, especially going to the Bluffs and having a nice seafood dinner somewhere. I haven't been in a while but I liked Eli's for dinner, and lunch at the National Hotel on the deck overlooking the harbor has a great historic feel. BI is abundant in fresh local sword and tuna right now.

On the mainland, Jamestown has some nice cafe's and restaurants; the Village Hearth has artisan Italian straight from Italy- but are only open on wkends. Take a drive to Beavertail Lighthouse State Park and Fort Wetherill is bery beautiful too. The best spot for relaxing picnic anywhere on the bay in my opinion is in Fort Adams State Park, behind the Eisenhower House. You'll get the same great view having a cocktail on the lawn at Oceancliff Resort or Castle Hill; you don't need to be a guest.

Edited: 11 June 2012, 23:37
Northern New Jersey
Level Contributor
165 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day itinerary

Thanks for the recommendations...we will weight our options.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day itinerary

The best way to experience the entire island is by moped or a taxi tour. After that explore Old Harbor, do a little shopping, walk along Crescent Beach, and have a nice lunch overlooking the water and harbor.

JDP

6. Re: 1 day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 02:40