We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nude/Topless Beaches

Boston...
Level Contributor
18 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Nude/Topless Beaches

This is an answer to a question posed a few years ago and no longer active.

Black Rock Beach is often mentioned as the only de facto nude beach on Block Island. However, If you want to go nude or topless or wear a thong or whatever, an easier beach to get to is below Mohegan Bluffs near the Southeast Lighthouse. There's a 140+ step staircase that leads almost all the way down. You just have to climb down the last 30 feet or so. Walk to the right over all the rocks until you reach the first promontory and the beach becomes sandy. It's clothing-optional from that point on. Most people wear regular swimsuits, but don't let that deter you. You'll see topless and nudes mixed in. No one cares.

My husband and I go there often. We've walked in g-string and thong swimsuits (me topless) all the way to Black Rock Beach along the shore. It took about 45 minutes each way. We saw several topless women and some nude men and women at various points along the way. If you want privacy, there's plenty of it. But there's no need to get away from the crowds to shed your clothes.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 16:08
54 replies to this topic
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Nude/Topless Beaches

Out in public, your own personal "feelings" take a back seat to the public's feelings. Each community gets to set guidelines for the use of public areas and should be respected. The community is paying for that place.

Private property is completely different. Nudist resorts are absolutely wonderful ideas. You can be truly comfortable there.

Btw, if I were visiting an Islamic country, I would cover my head and wear clothing that would not make the community I was visiting uncomfortable. If I did not want to wear such things, I would not go there.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Nude/Topless Beaches

Laury, you were talking about the French side of St Martin where there are nude/topless beaches. That is the accepted dress code in beaches which are 'public areas' there. So what is the problem apart from your notion that some people are not fit to be seen as such and are not allowed a free choice to enjoy themselves as they are.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Nude/Topless Beaches

Actually, I was talking about Block Island. No nude beaches there.

But as for French St Martin, there are also few nude beaches there. Anyone who thinks all of Orient Bay is nude has been in for a rude awakening. Only Orient Beach itself (private) is nude. The rest you risk tickets and fines. Last time I was there (3 years ago, but I hear it continues) it was strictly enforced. No nudes were allowed at the northern end of the bay, at all.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Nude/Topless Beaches

I am well aware of all that. Nothing to do with my post though. Describing St Martin's beaches as nude/topless was accurate . I know Orient is just one end.

What I really do not understand on past reviews and forums here is why some people if they really cannot stand the sight of human bodies make a point of visiting a nude beach and then complain about it.

daisytown
Level Contributor
593 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Nude/Topless Beaches

I think the point was people that go to beaches that are not nude such as the ones on Block Island, and find what they consider a secluded area to go nude. My husband and I when we travel love to find off the beaten path type of places. If we came across nude bathers it would not bother me, but we do not have children with us. I would not want my young daughters coming across nude men on the beach. I think that it's ok if a place is designated as clothing optional thats fine. Some people think that if its what they want to do then the world had better accept it.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Nude/Topless Beaches

Interesting you say nude men. If nudity really is a concern it would be from either sex. What makes a naked man worse than a naked woman? If it is merely a secluded area, and not designated naturist you do have the right to be offended. You equally have the right to walk away. They should take regard of your feelings and move or dress if more people are there clothed. However, unless it is in a populated beach where all are clothed, your views should not trump theirs if they have made an effort to be away from others.

It is a myth that children have more of a problem with nudity than adults do when the reverse is true. Naturism does not harm children at the many naturist beaches and clubs. Children play on beaches, parks and in other leisure areas oblivious of their own or other people's nakedness. Children in Europe who see nudity on beaches, which not always designated, as a matter of fact, are not concerned about it. It is all to do with attitudes. Nudity in itself is not wrong, it is what you think about it.

Edited: 27 September 2013, 09:10
daisytown
Level Contributor
593 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Nude/Topless Beaches

Still don't want my daughter looking at nude man at beach !

Edited: 27 September 2013, 22:39
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Nude/Topless Beaches

It's a cultural thing. Having grown up on European beaches I don't get why the body should be viewed as bad or something to protect children from who are usually happy to be unfettered on the beach themselves.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Nude/Topless Beaches

My little girl (age 5 on her first visit)used to wrap a towel around her head rather than look at nude men on the beach in St Martin. Children are NOT as clueless as you might think. I explained to her that different cultures have different practices and she said to me "but not MY culture and I don't want to SEE them!"

Smart little girl, if you ask me. Funny but she grew up to be a nurse, and now has to see naked men all the time. STILL doesn't enjoy it, as it happens.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Nude/Topless Beaches

No, not clueless, it is culture and what you are used to seeing. I spent a lot of time in France when small, Croatia now and children in both are totally unbothered. And still why people go to a nude beach if they don't want to see naked people....

Reply to: Nude/Topless Beaches
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted