We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation on BI

Appleton, Wisconsin
5 posts
Save Topic
transportation on BI

My husband and I are visiting BI for the first time. Does anyone know of a website where I can find a good map of the island? We plan to use ferry from Pt Judith, which I understand arrives at Old Harbor, BI, but where is that? and how does one get from the ferry landing to their B&B? Ours is the Blue Dory - I think that is on Cresent Beach. We don't plan to take our car to the island, just do a lot of walking. I am currently checking out the attractions and trying to find where they are located. Any advice?

Thank you much!! Kim

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation on BI

The Blue Dory Inn is an easy walk from the Old Harbor ferry dock. Bear right when you leave the boat, stroll a short way along the waterfront, then follow the street in its 90-degree left turn between the National and Surf Hotels. The Blue Dory is on the north (right) side of that street, just past the Surf. Even with luggage in hand and in tow you can get there in five minutes or less.

With the exception of a couple of taxi rides, I've never used any kind of transport on BI other than my own two feet. The Blue Dory is at the edge of "downtown." Most of the island's shops and many of its restaurants are in the surrounding blocks. But if you prefer not to walk when exploring (the island's about seven miles by three miles in area) a lot of the cab drivers offer guided tours. Bicycles and the much-cursed mopeds are readily rentable at a couple of businesses.

Visit www.biri.com for maps and a list of landmarks. Go to www.blockislandtimes.com for a look at the local weekly newspaper. Then when you arrive, detour through the parking lot at the ferry dock and stop in to the Chamber of Commerce satellite office for all the maps and brochures you can stand. And enjoy!

Appleton, Wisconsin
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation on BI

Thank you so much! It sounds very helpful. Can't wait to get there!

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation on BI

Glad to help! Just don't tell "everybody," or they'll overrun the place ;-)

If you'd like to pick my brain some more - I've taken same-day and overnight trips to BI for the past thirteen years - by all means do so. My e-mail address is my screen name + the "at" symbol + the name of a popular mail service and search engine that starts with the letter Y + a dot + com.