We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Will Early October Week Likely To Be For First Timer?

Salem MA
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
How Will Early October Week Likely To Be For First Timer?

My wife and I live in the Northeast, but have never been to Block Island. We are thinking about taking a week there in early October, but might be able to go there later September. How much of a difference is there between, September 19 and October 3rd as a starting date for a week? Is it worth spending a week there?

We want to take into consideration the weather, as well as open restaurants and shops. We have also thought about Provincetown around that time, but we have been reading about the sheer natural beauty of Block Island. Either P-Town or BI will likely be a nice getaway, I imagine. Briefly drove through P-Town but have never stayed there. We do love the National Seashore, having stayed in Welfleet before.

Thoughts?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,705 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Will Early October Week Likely To Be For First Timer?

We I love both Block Island and P-town but they are both completely different.

Block Island tends to start shutting down after Labor Day at some spots, but many more close after Columbus Day. The restaurant at the National Hotel I think this year closed at the end of September. I would defintely go towards the end of September rather than the first of October. And yes, the weather could certainly be better in September, though we've had nice October weather also. It is just more hit and miss in October.

I think the first or second week after Labor Day would be a prime time to visit.

JDP

Salem MA
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Will Early October Week Likely To Be For First Timer?

We decided to book 3 nights at Avonlea Inn. They had an opening at the end of September with a stay 2 nights and get an extra night free deal. Kind of split the difference.

Is the History Society Museum worth spending time in?

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Will Early October Week Likely To Be For First Timer?

Three nights is the perfect amount for late Sept. It's a small intimate island. Block Island history is always so charming and special, but Ive never been to the museum.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,705 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Will Early October Week Likely To Be For First Timer?

I agree, and I haven't been either but the history of the island is extensive and interesting!!

JDP

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
221 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Will Early October Week Likely To Be For First Timer?

Most locals will tell you that September and October are the best months to visit the island. The pace is slower than the summer and the crowds are gone. It is easier to get into any restaurant and they are all still open. Many of the shops will have items on sale. The weather is mild and the ocean is still warm from the summer.

Weekends tend to be busier than mid-week, but nothing like how busy it is in the summertime.

The Avonlea is located close to town, but also nearby to the beach. It is walking distance (1.5 mile or less) to almost any restaurant on the island, even the ones in New Harbor.

The hours at the Historical Society change after Labor Day. I would recommend contacting them ahead of time to verify their hours; it is certainly worth the trip.

Other places you shouldn't miss are the two lighthouses, the bluffs, new harbor (kayaking or paddleboarding), the Abrams animal farm, the island free library (we do have one of the neatest little libraries and they run lots of great programs. They also have an island history section.), the greenway trails are great for hiking.

I hope you have a great time; it is a beautiful place to visit.

Salem MA
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Will Early October Week Likely To Be For First Timer?

Thanks to all who have chimed in thus far. Keep 'em coming. My wife, by the way, wondered whether we'd be able to get all of the above in during our allotted time there. We will probably get in mid-day on a Sunday and leave late afternoon on Wednesday. Of course, any inclement weather throws everything out of the equation.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Will Early October Week Likely To Be For First Timer?

I think your plans sound perfect! Arriving Sunday means you miss the weekend wedding crowds. You'll practically have the island to yourself to enjoy. I agree with those that say 3 days is enough. I have done all of the recommended activities, but during separate trips. I really love the greenways of Rodman's Hollow. Just did that last summer and definitely going back to do it again this summer.

If you are both reasonably fit then plan to walk the staircase down the beach below the bluffs at Southeast Light. BEAUTIFUL! I'm not positive but I think it's 180 steps each way.

But I do recall my nephew had planned to attend a wedding one Sept 24th, a few years ago, and a nor'easter cancelled the ferry... and the wedding. Should anything like that happen, just switch plans and head for Ptown!

8. Re: How Will Early October Week Likely To Be For First Timer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 05:17