We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moped vs. Bicycle

Coventry, Rhode...
Level Contributor
13 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Moped vs. Bicycle

I will be spending the day on BI soon and I was wondering what would be better to rent for the day- moped or bicycle? If I were to rent a 2 person moped for the day does anyone know the approximate cost? If I were to rent a bicycle what are the chances someone will steal it while at the beach or on a nature trail? Thanks in advance for any info! :)

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moped vs. Bicycle

Very remote that a bike would be stolen. They are everywhere. Go to bimopeds.com for bike and moped rental rates. Personally, I would do the moped but if you are in good shape then riding a bike can be fun also.

JDP

Narragansett, Rhode...
Level Contributor
24 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moped vs. Bicycle

If you are confident on moped then it is a good way to get around, but most places you'd want to see are accessible by bike. The rental place will also give/rent you a lock.

We've never had bikes taken, but better safe than sorry. There are brand new bike racks everywhere on the island.

Boston
Level Contributor
694 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moped vs. Bicycle

If there for 1 day, no overnight and have never been I would opt for a moped.

They usually make/let you test drive them around the block to make sure you are comfortable with one.

Driving with a person on your back does make turning a little different, so you need to be careful and the island roads are crowded so no room for error.

The locals and many fellow tourists do not care for them and will not have any patience for you, so only rent if you are very comfortable ; there are serious accidents.

if you have more than 1 day or staying overnight I would highly recommend a bike instead as the island is small so you can still cover it all on a bike it just takes longer.

Also there are many nice areas accessible by dirt road only, mopeds are NOT permitted on any dirt or sand areas.

Moped you obviously can't go on certain areas so need to park further from or not see some areas than you can get to with a bike.

Would not worry about either being stolen but with a bike lock it up, as stated there are bike racks everywhere.

Moped cost will be much higher than a bike rental, probably at least 4x as much.

I would guess you would pay $100 for a day rental of a moped for 2 people.

If biking, there is really only 1 hill. Of course that hill is a must do because you need to go up the hill to see the lighthouse and that is a must see. The rest of the island is flat and easy to bike around. You only need to be in moderate shape to bike this island but not everyone is able to.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moped vs. Bicycle

One concern if you rent a moped is that everyone will hate you.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
246 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moped vs. Bicycle

Moped and bicycle rentals are available at lots of different places on the island. Bikes are around $25. a day (coupons are available in Block Island guides and at the Chamber of Commerce office and at some of the hotels.) I do not know how much mopeds cost, but they tend to be very competitive with one another price wise and coupons are available for those as well.

Bike locks should come with the bikes, just ask for one or bring your own with you. The only time bikes tend to get taken is 1) When someone mistakes your rental bike for theirs 2) After the bars close at 1:00 a.m.

It is pretty safe out on the island.

Bike helmets are ALWAYS a good idea.

Mentioned in this post
Block Island
Block Island
Rhode Island
Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
335 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moped vs. Bicycle

Why are the moped riders "hated" and the bike riders are not? At least they both have two hands in use and

neither can be texting while driving (like those operating the cars!!).

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moped vs. Bicycle

I think they are hated because they are slower than cars, noisy and the drivers are not always courteous. Just one warning about them... my husband and I did rent a pair when our kids were 8 and 10. Coming down a small hill I hit sand at the bottom and crashed. The island is VERY sandy, so you do need to anticipate. It could have happened on a bike as well. Just beware the sand. Fortunately I ended up with nothing more than some bad road rash, and my son landed on top of me, so he wasn't injured. Up until that point, heading back to catch our ferry, it was a wonderful day.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moped vs. Bicycle

They are noisy. Really obnoxiously so.

They pollute. (Less than a car, you say, but they're rented and priced more like bikes, not like cars.)

They are motorcycles that, for some insane reason, can be driven without a motorcycle license, so the drivers are frequently quite unskilled and get into a lot of accidents. I remember in the 1980s there was a big deal about moped drivers making unexpected short stops on the island's historic stone walls.

They are frequently driven drunk, because they are not treated as motor vehicles.

9. Re: Moped vs. Bicycle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Block Island