We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bristol bars - any anti British sentiments?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Bristol bars - any anti British sentiments?

Hi fellow Bristolians - I'm from Bristol UK and I'm planning to visit Bristol RI during my forthcoming New England Road trip. I know New England has a large Irish community and I was just wondering that if I have a few beers in any of the bars in Bristol is there likely to be any anti British feeling?

I was thinking of dropping off a football (soccer) pennant of my home town club in one of the bars but wondering if it would be appreciated or not?

11 replies to this topic
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bristol bars - any anti British sentiments?

You will probably be the most popular person there! Definitely no anti-British sentiment. Some curmudgeon might have anti-tourist sentiments, but most RI ers would think you are fascinating. Definitely bring a pennant!

And I am of Irish ancestry.

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bristol bars - any anti British sentiments?

I can't imagine anyone being anything but welcoming. Don't think twice about going. You might get a few quizzical looks if you say you're popping off to the loo, but that would be the extent of it. I was part of a choral group that visited Bristol UK a number of years ago (we sang at Bath Abbey), and we were warmly welcomed. Have a wonderful holiday.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bristol bars - any anti British sentiments?

Not really a big Irish community in Bristol, it's still pretty anglo. Be careful driving through the neighboring communities though.:-)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bristol bars - any anti British sentiments?

Hi guys, thanks for your responses. That's really reassuring, Can't wait to visit, especially seeing as it's Columbus Day weekend when we'll be there - having said that, of course you should be celebrating Cabot Day instead as all true Bristolians know he actually discovered the US mainland and not Columbus ;o)

Next question - I love Guinness but what's the chances of getting a good pint of cider in Bristo Rl, here in Bristol UK we're brought up on it!

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bristol bars - any anti British sentiments?

On come on, expand your horizons and try some of our local brew. The English Cellar Alehouse opened up a couple years ago in Providence, if you really need a fix. Cider beer isn't too big in Southern New England though.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bristol bars - any anti British sentiments?

If you're in RI that weekend I hope you make it Waterfire in Providence the evening of Oct 8! And that weekend is the busiest festival weekend in RI. Favorites of mine are the Scituate Art Festival (great foliage, art AND food) the Italian Columbus Day festival on Federal Hill in Providence (zeppoles are a MUST but do NOT mention your Columbus observation!) and Octoberfest in Newport. It's so hard to squeeze it all in that I always take a vacation that week.

Providence has tons of micro-breweries... something for everyone. Be adventurous!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bristol bars - any anti British sentiments?

Oh I fully intend to sample the local brews - in fact it's one of my raison's d'etre for visiting :o)

My last roadtrip to California got me hooked on Sierra Nevada, so can't wait to sample the local tipples - and yes we are in Providence for the firewater display - staying at the Old Court House on Benefit Street.

Really looking forward to our trip - incredibly Autumn has come early to the UK, in fact the summer never really got started, so hoping it won't be the same in New England - we arrive 25 September and depart 16 October so hopefully bang in the middle of all the Fall glory - can't wait!

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bristol bars - any anti British sentiments?

Try Aidan's Pub -- that's in Bristol.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bristol bars - any anti British sentiments?

RI is very much in the throes of summer., although early this week certain persons were mentioning fall. Today we have the A/C on, due to insane humidity. Your weather should be wonderful during your visit... at least hurricane-free and low humidity.

And my local packie (liquor store... the place you MUST purchase all alcholic beverages in RI that are to be consumed outside a bar or pub) stocks Sierra Nevada... so most probably do..

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bristol bars - any anti British sentiments?

The local micro-brew in RI is Aquidneck Storm in the Newport area; now they are doing "Thomas Tew" rum I think, in celebration of the rum running and pirate history in Newport. I hate to say it, but I hope there are some leaves, let alone trees left, after Irene.

Reply to: Bristol bars - any anti British sentiments?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bristol