We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying 1 week in Charlestown with 1 yr old...

Cincinnati, Ohio...
1 post
Save Topic
Staying 1 week in Charlestown with 1 yr old...

My husband, myself and our 1 yr old daughter are visiting family for one week in July. Wondering what to see, advise on good day trips, etc.

4 replies to this topic
Lincoln RI 02865
Level Contributor
267 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying 1 week in Charlestown with 1 yr old...

If you like beaches there are non better. Block island would be a nice day trip ,rent bikes over there. Dinner at the Ocean House in Watch Hill .$$$ but fantastic. Kayaking at Charlestown kayak rentals on Ninigret pond would be fun . Claming on the pond could be fun to do. Beach is everything!!Have fun

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying 1 week in Charlestown with 1 yr old...

If there is a rainy day, take your daughter to Mystic Aquarium. They have quite a bit of hands-on touching pools, digs, etc. I know a 3 year old who thinks it's the ultimate in fun. But for nice days my own kids loved the beach from age 4 months on. A pail, a shovel, a shady umbrella and they are all set!

CT,RI
Level Contributor
47 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying 1 week in Charlestown with 1 yr old...

The beach will be great with a 1 year old, I'd also recommend Quonnie Pond so she can splash around in the water. You'll also be able to find some crabs and bait fish to see. It's at the end of West Beach Road. Another fun place for kids is Trustom Pond a National Wildlife Refuge. It is 5 minutes from Charlestown and has great hiking trails. Kids love the turtles, frogs and birds. Have a great week!

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying 1 week in Charlestown with 1 yr old...

Charlestown is great,, it has beautiful beaches; and when mine were little,, we loved Ninigret Pond. You can also check out the fantastic umbrella factory, a fun spot! Have a great time! :)

Reply to: Staying 1 week in Charlestown with 1 yr old...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Charlestown