We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time shares and Conos next to the Red Star Restaurant

conn,
3 posts
Save Topic
time shares and Conos next to the Red Star Restaurant

Hi,My family has vacationed on Misquamicut Beqach every summer for the past 11-12 years. We were disappointed to know our last year that our units we have rented were bought by a nice lady and were being constructed into time shares, and last year we noticed a building in the same parking lot that i understood were year round condos..While we were there last year we observed the new "parking lots" in the area. Everything looked like it was being knocked down. Any idea what is being put there if anything? It looks pretty errie...My kids did love the new amusements across the street past the gift shops. I love the closed in amusements.. There is a lady there, I think her name is Marie or Mary, has been there for years.. great woman,, very friendly and helpful our first few years vacationing there.Thanks for allowing me to share this with you, and hopefully someone can give me a heads up regarding the new look of it all. Christina and family

LBM
Westerly, RI
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: time shares and Conos next to the Red Star Restaurant

Hi. I saw your e-mail on the Trip Advisor site. I am a Westerly resident and a local Realtor. The two buildings on the beach were knocked down because they were in bad shape. In addition, Westerly Town Beach pass holders now have access to a second beach area and parking lot as a result of the clean up (Westerly Family Beach). The timeshare buildings had been there for some time as you know right on the water. One other building was added of year round condos. Those are all sold I think.Don't worry, there are no plans that we know of to tear down any of the amusements in the area; either the outdoor waterslides, mini golf, etc. or the indoor carousel or bumper cars.We hope you continue to make Westerly a summer vacation destination. My husband and I started vacationing here 16 years ago and now we live here full time. It's great. I hope this e-mail helps.Lise Mayers

LBM
Westerly, RI
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: time shares and Conos next to the Red Star Restaurant

Hello: I noticed your e-mail on the Westerly trip advisor. I am a Westerly resident and a Realtor.There were two old buildings that were knocked down over last winter. In part, this was to make room for the Town Beach pass holders to have access to a second beach area with an additional lot (Westerly Family Beach), which was formerly called Atlantis Beach. The area had deteriorated and the buildings were in bad shape. The condominiums are just about all build and sold. They are year round and are in addition to the buildings of timeshares that had already been there right on the beach.Otherwise, there are no plans to close down the waterslides, mini golf, bumper cars, carosel, etc. We hope you will continue to make Westerly a vacation destination. That's how my husband and I started coming up here 16 years ago. I hope this e-mail helps.Lise Mayers

conn,
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: time shares and Conos next to the Red Star Restaurant

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for answering some questions for me..I guess we have such great memories of all the summers spent at "Atlantic Beach", we now have no where we can stay on the water and still have a turkey cooking in our apartment, ( HaHa..) that can compare. We met some wonderful life long friends there. We looked forward to each summer and spending a relaxing week by the water with them. I will be looking into Sandy Shore, which looks comparible..maybe even notice a familiar life guard there. LARRY!!!!

If you have any suggestions of houses for rent on the water, you can e-mail me at my3sons114@aol.com. Thanks.

Misquamicut RI
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: time shares and Conos next to the Red Star Restaurant

I was reading your letter on Trip Advisor. I am on the Town Council and head of the Misquamciut Business Association. The buildings that were knocked down and a re a parkin glot used to be seedy bars owned by a man now in jail for cocaine trafficing. I suppose years ago these places were good.

The Town of Westerly bought the property for 3.1 million and we knocked all the buildings down except the 2 apartments on that property. We are going to put restrooms and a tourist info center on the Pond side of the property. Right now what to do on the beach side is up for discussion. Pavillion, Banquet Hall, keep it for parking only, Boardwalk. There will be nothing there this summer, but that is the discussion.

The Condo's and Time Shares are being built by Barbara Stillman. She has a reputation for taking old places and making them shine, like Point 1 Resorts and the BEach Plum down the street which she recently sold. She will move toward the Windjammer in the future and make more condos and such. The carosel will be moved accross the street with some of the older amusements. But that is 2006.

Go to www.misquamicut.org for all the info on the beach and you can join our email list............

All the best and we hope you return.......

Caswell Cooke, Jr.

www.caswellcooke.com

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: time shares and Conos next to the Red Star Restaurant

Keep coming to Westerly, Christina. Caswell Cooke's post is spot on, and he ought to know -- he's a champion of the Misquamicut area. The beach area is evolving and growing even better. When you do come back, I hope you explore the rest of Westerly, too. It's a wonderful town, and we who live here are very lucky. We've got the beaches, the downtown area, a great arts community, and a beautiful park smack dab in the middle. We'd be happy to welcome you and your family back.

Get answers to your questions about Misquamicut