We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Richards

Houston
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
The Richards

My husband and I stayed at the Richards recently and were very disappointed. The innkeeper seemed annoyed to have guests and the place was not well kept. The linens and towels were of poor quality and light bulbs were burned out. Breakfast was nothing special - as a matter of fact, we decided to go out instead after the first day. We will not be back.

Denver
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: The Richards

Yikes! We just reserved a room and sent in our deposit today. Last minute trip and it's the only B & B that had any availability. So sorry to hear your stay was not great. Did you express your concerns to the innkeeper? Hopefully, they view this website and take note of your criticism.

Houston
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Richards

Amy,

There are not many choices in Narragansett - the Anchor Motel is ok for college kids - but that's about it. The innkeeper of the Richards is a woman trying to run the place on her own with very little help. I felt sorry for her and didn't want to complain - it is expensive and definitely not worth it. We stayed for three nights and made the best of it - on the plus side, the location is great. Have a good time even if the place is a little disappointing!

Narragansett, RI
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Richards

Narragansett has about 15 B&Bs and 6 hotels of widely varying quality and prices. The B&B choice vary every year as some open and some close. Hope everyone has better luck with their lodging choices next time because it is a great little town to visit no matter what the time of year.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Richards

My husband and I stayed at the Richards (Dec 2004) and found it very charming. It was right before Christmas eve ( we were attending an anniversary party) so we were the only guests that night. Our room was large and the bathroom was clean with a nice built in shower.

The house was decorated for Christmas and the living room was ours to enjoy before breakfast was ready. Breakfast was homemade and delicious. The Richards were gracious hosts.

Our sheets could have been better quality, but the bed was comfortable.

I could understand some of the other comments posted, that if the house were full and Mrs. Richards is the only staff, that service might be different from our experience.

If you are attending a wedding, there are not many good clean hotel choices in the area, other than the Anchor Motel, which is nice and clean ( when we stayed there) but defintely a small, local motel with no restaurant service. There are many rental homes available, usually by the full week, that can accommodate families that need a nice place to stay. Try cyberrentals.com or VRBO.com for listings.

Earth
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: The Richards

Sorry to hear that your stay wasn't as good as ours! We had a wedding in the area and looked at quite a few bed and breakfasts and hotels in the area.The Richards was by far the nicest we saw. We have stayed at many B&B's on the east coast and found this one to be excellent. Food was outstanding and everything was home made(unlike some continental style breakfasts we have seen). I'm not a fan of motels/hotels as they lack charm and hospitality, exactly the reason we stay at B&B's like this one in the first place.

New York
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: The Richards

I couldn't disagree more with "Huckie". Oh well I guess you can't please everyone.

We have been staying at the Richards B&B for years. The reasons we come back year after year are for the delicious breakfasts, the gorgeous gardens and the peace and quiet. Nancy and Steve have always been gracious and helpful hosts. It is a great getaway and so close to the beach! AND they now have air conditioning but we didn't even need it. I can't think of any other place I'd rather stay in Narragansett.

Cherry Hill, NJ
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: The Richards

We've stayed at the Richards' a few times and would recommend it highly. Our rooms were well appointed with soft sheets and coordinating ensembles, made by Mrs. Richards. It was a quiet respite from the city living we're used to with beautiful gardens and large grounds to stroll. We've stayed in spring when everything was coming into bloom and at Christmas, when we felt at home with the quaint, themed Christmas trees. Our breakfasts were all homemade with delicious muffins and a frittata or omelet. We would go back anytime without hesitation. From, Jersey Girl

Glendale, California
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: The Richards

Huckie's review doesn't sound like we stayed at the same place! In response to the "burnt light bulbs" which I also queried, half of the bulbs in the vintage sconces in the hall way are twisted off to purposely keep it dimly lit to accommodate the guests.Those wall sconces are on all the time.

I first stayed at the Richards on a solo trip to New England; then I brought my husband back for another trip later on. The first time I checked in, I had expected,of course, the beautiful exterior as presented in the photos. But in the rooms, however, I had thought to see all the signs that indicated it is, after all, a commercial inn.

Instead I was pleased that all the little personal touches were first class and non-commercial. No television; no phone; and books could be had in the

it suite and in the library downstairs The different rooms we stayed in at different times were absolutely gorgeous. The huge, stone house is well maintained; Nancy's breakfasts are well-presented, delicious and abundant.

Steve is a cheery, congenial host and always makes us feel very comfortable. The grounds and English gardens, Nancy's passion, are a feast for the senses; and the koi pond, situated a bit into the woods

behind the house, is a tranquilizing place to sit and talk. Other guests I'd talked to during our stay also had the same approving opinions. In response to the "burnt light bulbs" which I also queried, half of the bulbs in the vintage sconces in the hall way are twisted off to purposely keep it dimly lit to accommodate the guests.Those wall sconces are on all the time.

We felt like guests in someone's private home.

The Richards go to great lengths to be friendly, accommodating and respectful of their guests'

desire for serenity and privacy.The Richards is a great place to get away from it all!"

9. Re: The Richards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 23:16
Get answers to your questions about Narragansett
Recent Conversations