We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrip(s) to Boston and Lexington: Drive or take the train.

Which South Kingstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
B G
Saint Paul...
7 posts
Save Topic
Daytrip(s) to Boston and Lexington: Drive or take the train.

We are looking forward to a short stay in S. Kingstown. The kids are hoping to take in some historical sites while in the region. My plans at present are to leave the car and pick up a train in Providence and then head to Boston . We could then walk or use public transportation to explore the various sites. We have looked at the possibility of taking a tour bus to Lexington and Concord but I am concerned that we might have difficulty making the 9:30 AM Boston pick-up on time.

Is South Kingston to Lexington via our vehicle a better choice than trains and tour buses?

3 replies to this topic
Rhode Island
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytrip(s) to Boston and Lexington: Drive or take the train.

If you are staying in South Kingstown, why not take the train from the Amtrak station in Kingston rather than driving up to Providence? The first train (whether taken from Kingston or Providence) gets into Boston at 8 a.m. If you are taking the T instead, you could leave from the Wickford Junction station in North Kingstown although the number of trains that leave from there is limited and the T station in Providence will give you slightly more time options for getting into Boston.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytrip(s) to Boston and Lexington: Drive or take the train.

Well yes, it would make more sense to go by car, since Lexington and Concord are located outside the city, and via transit it would take quite a while to finally get there. You can avoid Boston driving, by taking 295, or 495 I think. And you could also park in that area, and then take the T into Boston proper; the train times would be more flexible than coming from RI.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytrip(s) to Boston and Lexington: Drive or take the train.

I agree that travel by car will make more sense. Getting to Boston by 9:30 doesn't sound like vacation! I don't know exactly where the bus tour goes, but there are many sites in Lexington and Concord and a few more along Battle Road outside those towns. I'd prefer to see them at my own pace rather than be stuck with the tour's schedule. You can better tailor your day to your kids' interests if on your own.

Reply to: Daytrip(s) to Boston and Lexington: Drive or take the train.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about South Kingstown