We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants/grocery stores in the area

Which Beaufort hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hernando...
Level Contributor
64 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants/grocery stores in the area

My family and I just switched our beach vacation from Gulf Shores to Harbor Island as a result of the oil spill in the Gulf. Looks like a fantastic place, but we don't know much about the area. We know that there's only one restaurant on the island, and we had already planned to cook in most nights we are there. Does the island have a grocery store or do we need to stop somewhere else to get groceries before we get there? What about other restaurants in Beaufort of Savannah that are musts? We do plan on getting out a couple of nights to go out to eat? What do you all suggest for us? Thanks! :)

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants/grocery stores in the area

Hi deltadarling,

The closest full-service grocery stores are located on Lady's Island, which is about 15-20 minutes away from Harbor Island. You will find a Publix and a Food Lion there. Piggly Wiggly, Bi-Lo, and Super Walmart are also in Beaufort, though further away. If you're looking to get fresh seafood, I'd recommend stopping at the Gay Fish Company, which is only five minutes from Harbor Island (coming from Harbor Island, look for the shrimp boats on the left a mile or so after the drawbridge over the Harbor River.)

As for restaurants, it honestly depends on what you're interested in and what your budget is. You can check out Beaufort restaurant reviews here:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g54135-Beaufort_…

My personal favorites are:

$$$ - Breakwater OR Wren (contemporary)

$$ - Steamers (seafood), Bricks (American), Plums (lunch)

$ - Nippy's (seafood), Common Ground (coffee)

Some restaurants aren't open on Mondays. Thursday is a popular night to go out... Bricks on Boundary has a fun trivia night on Thursday starting at 8 pm. Wren and Breakwater both have some meal deals on Tuesday and Wednesday, and both are higher end and delightful.

If you like seafood, Nippys is great for a quick lunch and Steamers is fun for the family for dinner. Plums has great outdoor seating and is good for lunch, and Common Ground Coffee has great coffee and smoothies, overlooking Beaufort's waterfront park.

Edited: 07 June 2010, 15:46
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants/grocery stores in the area

We have liked Boondocks on the Harbor Island end of St Helena, and there is a local Italian restaurant in Frogmore on St Helena also. There's also a soul food place in Frogmore that I don't know anything about.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
190 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants/grocery stores in the area

There is another restaurant in Frogmore called The Foolish Frog. It is great. Just about a 10 minute drive from Harbor island. It is open for lunch and dinner.

4. Re: Restaurants/grocery stores in the area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Beaufort