We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hunting Island SP or Edisto Beach SP

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hunting Island SP or Edisto Beach SP

I'm planning on a tent camping trip. What are the differences in the beaches and campgrounds? I am going in Sept.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hunting Island SP or Edisto Beach SP

Hunting is way way way more remote than edisto. Edisto is only about 40 minutes away from Charleston.

So if you are looking to really get away, then I'd pick hunting. Theres a lighthouse and a great tropical jungle vibe. I love going there.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,089 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hunting Island SP or Edisto Beach SP

Wrong, Edisto is an hour from Charleston. Kiawah is 40 to 45 min from Charleston.

Edited: 15 February 2013, 17:06
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hunting Island SP or Edisto Beach SP

Eh, whatever Endosunshine, I lived in charleston for years, I could always make it back to the charleston area in about 40 minutes. 'course that depends on traffic and what "part" of charleston you are going.

Maybe next time take into account other people's experiences eh?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,089 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hunting Island SP or Edisto Beach SP

I've lived here for years as well, nearly 30 of them in Charleston and the rest of my life in SC. What I take into account is trying to give visitors as accurate of a description as possible. I agree, you can get into the outskirts of Charleston in 40 minutes, but most visitors would likely want something more scenic. You seem a little touchy over a small issue. Isn't the point to help the visitor?

Edited: 15 February 2013, 17:36
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,714 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hunting Island SP or Edisto Beach SP

Well, I've only made the drive a couple of times, so can't criticize anyone's personal experience.

For reference, both Google maps and AAA say the minimum drive from Edisto State Park to Meeting Street is 1 hour 5 minutes. Of course, the estimates assume adherence to appropriate speed and normal traffic safety procedures ... along with no stops and use of the recommended most efficient route.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hunting Island SP or Edisto Beach SP

All of this is perspective based. I disagree with winterface's take that HI is remote. Hunting Island is 20 minutes away from Beaufort, which is a great town that has numerous restaurants, attractions, and grocery stores for supplies. While Edisto State Park has Edisto Beach next door, the only store of note in Piggly Wiggly, and you are 45 min away from Charleston's outskirts. Edisto in my opinion is more remote geographically. That being said, you get the FEELING of remoteness with Hunting Island.

Hunting Island has consistently been voted as the top state park in South Carolina and is also the most popular state park in the system. Every park ranger in the parks system will tell you Hunting Island is the crown jewel in the system and that there's a very competitive process to becoming a ranger there. It's for a good reason.

That being said, The camping experience there is second to none along the coast. September may be the best time to visit the park; the water is still warm and the crowds will be gone (except for Labor Day). The definition of crowded must also be taken to perspective as well; don't expect Myrtle Beach or Daytona like crowds. Never more than a few dozen people on the beach in the camping area.

Edited: 16 February 2013, 14:36
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hunting Island SP or Edisto Beach SP

I concur with beaufort-tiger's assessment. Hunting Island is easy to access, but it feels like you are away from crowded beaches.

I've done the drive to Edisto from all over town. It's 40 minutes from Fish Net, but not Charleston proper.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hunting Island SP or Edisto Beach SP

Hunting Island has also just been named one of the top beaches in the U.S.

tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Beaches-cTop…

9. Re: Hunting Island SP or Edisto Beach SP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 07:16