We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

charleston and maybe savannah in three days?

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Caesarea, Israel
Level Contributor
156 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
charleston and maybe savannah in three days?

We only have time for a three night trip adn I'm wondering if it would be possible to squeeze in both Charleston and Savannah or if this is really too much. We live abroad and I'm not sure we'll have time to make it back to this part of the world. We are primarily interested in plantations and historical homes. Wondering where we should stay. Should we break it up into two nights and one. Thought of flying into Charleston and driving right to Savannah. DAy one in Savannah, overnight, back to Charleston, two nights then flying out. Any advice?

CA
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: charleston and maybe savannah in three days?

I don't know tons about plantations but Savannah and Charleston both have great historical homes. My parents just went to the Magnolia Plantation near Charleston, and they said it was lovely. You could stay at the affordable La Quinta close to Charleston; the expensive St Charles Place, or the moderate Best Western, both in great locations in Charleston, and within the historic district. Charleston also offers very informative horse and carriage rides of the historic district; they would be perfect for your interest in historical homes. You could do a plantation in the morning and early afternoon, and a carriage ride in the late afternoon. It is a terrific walking town for historic buildings, gardens, and private homes after you finish your carriage tour. The next day you could drive to Savannah (3hours), and take the Old Towne Trolley Tour which allows you to get off and on where you like, and it offers an equally informative perspective of the history of Savannah, unlike some city tours. I dont know much about plantations in the Savannah area. There are restaurants and shops down by the river. Beware of walking out at night, as Savannah is not the safest city. There is a large hotel on the riverfront (Hyatt?), and the Mulberry Inn, near the Pirate House restaurant, which are both nice.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: charleston and maybe savannah in three days?

I did this last year (or maybe it was the year before). We flew into Charleston, arriving early morning, stayed at the Andrew Pinckney Inn and spent the day downtown shopping, eating, and just wandering. We also spent a little time at Folly Beach.

Day 2 we drove out to Savannah in the early morning where it was drizzling most of the day but still very pleasant. We took the cheapest hop-on hop-off bus tour we could find to figure out where things were. Then we visited some historical homes, ate and shopped a lot! We got lost going back to Charleston a little before dark but eventually found our way. There was a very tasty cider shop somewhere along the way into Savannah.

Day 3 was when we planned to visit the plantations in Charleston (and it seemed there were plenty), but it was pouring down rain. It was literally coming down in sheets, making it impossible to drive. This actually turned out to be the day we had the most fun. Even though we didn't get to do anything we planned, we got soaked running around the flooded streets of downtown.

Charleston is a beautiful city, and although Savannah is too, I liked Charleston much better and would always keep that as my base.

CHARLESTON, SC
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
764 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: charleston and maybe savannah in three days?

I would personally skip Savannah. I reckon I may be a little partial, but I think Charleston has enough authentic Southern flare to satisfy your curiosity, and there is certainly plenty to keep busy with for 3 days here. For plantations check out Magnolia Plantation, Middleton Place, and Drayton Hall. All of them are great, the best thing about them is that they are pretty much side by side so you could do them all if you really were interested. Great historical homes downtown include the Nathaniel Russell house, Aiken Rhett, and the Calhoun Mansion. As far as places to stay you have a lot of great options. If you want something newer along the luxury lines you could try the French Quarter Inn or the Harbourview Inn. Both are 4 Diamond properties and offer great amenities like evening wine and cheese hour and cookies and milk at night. With your interest in historic homes you should also consider staying at the Elliott House Inn. This is a very small boutique hotel (25 rooms) that is actually on the National Registry of Historic Places. They also have great amenities like wine and cheese, and free delivery of their continental breakfast. Typically the Elliott House Inn is cheaper than the first 2 I mentioned.

Enjoy your trip.

Upstate NY
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: charleston and maybe savannah in three days?

I will be visiting Charleston/Savannah region in late April. One stop on the bus trip is the Audubon Swamp Garden. My question is, (Please no laughing...) I wonder if I should bring long pants and bug repellent?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: charleston and maybe savannah in three days?

To Diane - Trust me, your question will not get any laughing from people around here. I definitely recomment bug spray, especially one that contains 'deet'. Long pants would be smart as well.

If you visit the swamp, any swamp, you must protect yourself against the biting insects, the worst of which are sand gnats and mosquitoes. Don't skimp on the spray, either - make sure you put lots on your legs, arms, and entire head and neck area.

To cvwgi - I tend to agree with JT. Savannah is a gorgeous city, and I love her too, but I think you would do yourself a disservice by trying to fit both towns in three days. Charleston offers all of the things that you are looking for, and you won't spend a lot of time on the road.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: charleston and maybe savannah in three days?

If you were living in the USA and it were possible to come back to visit, I would say skip Savannah too. However, since you are coming from abroad and you may never get back this way again, I think you should at least get to Savannah for an on/off riding tour around the Historic District. That way, you will have an overview of the city. Maybe walk around a little too.

Check out this site. They may have a tour that would be at a good time for you.

http://mickveisrael.org/

Upstate NY
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: charleston and maybe savannah in three days?

Floski,

Thanks for the advice on bringing the insect repellent. I read several of your other posts. You offer great insight into the Charleston Area. Thanks for taking the time to post!

Florida
Level Contributor
100 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: charleston and maybe savannah in three days?

We did both cities in 3 days last year and will repeat the trip to both cities again this year. Savannah is beautiful in its own different way, and I advise you NOT to skip it, or you will miss the squares, gardens, and loveliness of this city too. Plan to do both, 2 days in Charleston and one in Savannah and you will be very happy you did!!

Caesarea, Israel
Level Contributor
156 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: charleston and maybe savannah in three days?

FloridaGirl: Can you give me a rough itinerary..what you managed to include in this brief amount of time? Thanks,

10. Re: charleston and maybe savannah in three days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 13:16