We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston 3/31/07, Savannah 4/2/07, Jacksonville 4/4/07

Westbury NY
Level Contributor
210 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Charleston 3/31/07, Savannah 4/2/07, Jacksonville 4/4/07

My wife & I are in our late 50s. We are arriving at Charleston airport at around 11:30 and staying at the Andrew Pinckney Inn for 2 nights (Saturday & Sunday) and than driving down to Savannah on Monday for 2 nights at the Doubletree Hotel Historic( Monday & Tuesday) than driving to Fernandina Beach/Ameilia Island Wednesday for 2 nights (Wednesday & Thursday).

When in Charleston I want to see Middleton Place (with either Lunch or dinner) & Magnolia Plantation & Gardens(including a swamp tour). How much time should I allow for each & what days would you recommend to see them? Should I also try to include Drayton Hall when I go to Middleton?

I would also want to see Fort Sumpter.

Can anyone recommend how best to time these visits/activities and what else we might want to see while in Charleston? I thought we would include some sightseeing in Charleston on Monday till around 2 or 3PM before we head out to Savanannah.

Are there additional sights tours etc that are must sees? How about house tours & walking tours?

As to restaurants I thought one meal lunch or dinner at Middleton place and one meal at Cru Cafe (lunch or dinner?). that leaves 3 other meals. Any other recommendations? I would like some places that offer local cuisine and/or with views/ambiance, seafood also a plus.

Thanks

Martylup

CHARLESTON, SC
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
788 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston 3/31/07, Savannah 4/2/07, Jacksonville 4/4/07

As far as the plantations go I would recommend about 4 hours between the two. If you want to see Drayton add another hour or so. For homes downtown I like the Nathaniel Russell House or the Calhoun Mansion. If seafood is what you are after you should consider Hanks (which is 1/2 block from the Andrew Pinckney). Ansons is also very good and very close to your hotel. Tristan is located on Market St. and is fantastic for lunch or dinner. For local cuisine try Magnolias, 82 Queen, or Jestines if you want something more casual. Not very many restaurants downtown with fantastic views, but they all sure have fantastic food. If you want dinner with a view consider going out to the Boathouse out on Sullivans Island. Right on the water and really good food. Downtown you could try Fleet Landing, mainly seafood and sits right on the water.

Ya'll enjoy your trip.

Westbury NY
Level Contributor
210 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston 3/31/07, Savannah 4/2/07, Jacksonville 4/4/07

As we will really only have 2 full days and 2 nights in the Charleston area I'm wondering on the best timing to fit everything in. We are arriving at around noon Saturday and deparing the area by around 2 or 3 Pm Monday.

When we arrive at the airport should we first stop at either Magnola Plantation or Middleton Place or go right to our hotel and take a carriage tour?

Are we better off visiting Middleton Place & Magnola Gardens as we leave on Monday before we drive to Savannah or to push visiting Fort Sumpter to that moring before we leave?

Any thoughts on the Festival of Houses & Gardens? Is this worth it and can we just get tickets the day of?

Thanks

Marty

CHARLESTON, SC
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
788 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston 3/31/07, Savannah 4/2/07, Jacksonville 4/4/07

The house and gardens tour is great, but I would definitely recommend getting tickets in advance. As far as the timing of everything that is up to ya'll really. The plantations aren't exactly on the way to Savannah, but that aren't exactly way out of the way either. I would personally go to the hotel after coming in and go do a carriage ride and have a relaxing evening downtown. Sunday or Monday would be good days to do the plantations because they should be less crowded.

So I reckon here is my suggestion:

Saturday: arrive, check-in, do a carriage ride, kick back and enjoy Charleston.

Sunday: I would go ahead and do the afternoon Fort Sumter tour...I think they are leaving at 2:30 right now for the last tour, but you can verify that at www.spiritlinecruises.com.

Monday: hit the shops and stuff in the mornin', grab lunch and then hit the plantations on your way out of town.

Enjoy your trip.

Florida
Level Contributor
100 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston 3/31/07, Savannah 4/2/07, Jacksonville 4/4/07

And we are doing the same tour from the opposite direction!! Driving up from Bradenton, Florida to Fernandina Beach, then Charleston, over to Summerville for the flower festival, Savannah and home :) Look into the Historic House tours at historiccharleston.org. Make sure you call ahead for reservations for the Pink House in Savannah, it is well booked in advance especially if you want a window overlooking the square!! Have Fun!!

5. Re: Charleston 3/31/07, Savannah 4/2/07, Jacksonville 4/4/07

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 03:19