We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visitors to Charleston

Maryland
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Visitors to Charleston

We are planning a trip to Charleston as part of our summer vacation. Traveling in July or Aug. We are a family of 4 to include a 16 year old and 11 year old. Can anyone recommend a nice, but moderately priced hotel, on the outskirts of Charleston? We don't mind driving into Charleston, and believe we could save a few bucks staying outside of the city. Also, would like to spend a day or two at the beach. How far is the beach from Charleston? I will rely on the advice of all of my Tripadvisor buddies! Thanks so much for your time.

CHARLESTON, SC
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
782 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Visitors to Charleston

There are 2 beaches I normally recommend...Folly Beach to the South, and Isle of Palms to the north. Both are around 20 minutes from downtown Charleston. There are many options for you outside of downtown. There are several hotels on 17South, which is likely where you would be coming from based on your Maryland location. Most of these are chain hotels. There is a Holiday Inn in Mt. Pleasant that is just across the Cooper River from downtown so that might be a good place to start. If you want to try to stay on the beach you could try the Seaside Inn or the Palms on the Isle of Palms...but July and August are peak season for them.

Ya'll enjoy your trip.

Clarksburg, WV
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Visitors to Charleston

The last time we went to Charleston, we stayed at the MainStay Suites in Mt. Pleasant. Mt. Pleasant is very convenient to downtown and Isle of Palms Beach, which I personally liked better that Folly Beach (less crowded). The rates were much cheaper than anything downtown or beachfront, it was very short drive to downtown and the beach.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Visitors to Charleston

Look over there <-- and look under the Charleston Hotels section. Look at the third one down, Hampton Inn Daniel Island. That would be my recommendation. It is a very nice hotel, and walking distance to the Charleston Battery Soccer stadium (Blackbaud Stadium). It is also right next to a great restaurant (your kids will love it) called Queen Anne's Revenge.

Daniel Island is extremely safe as it is a pretty newly developed area and everything is conveniently located to I-526 and you can get down town and to the beaches (well, Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island) very easily.

If you don't want to stay right downtown but want a nice, safe environment, this is a no-brainer.

Castle Rock...
Level Contributor
62 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Visitors to Charleston

We are at the Hampton Inn in West Ashley this week. Awesome location, great price. $92/night(compared to $250 in downtown) Saw others with teens here and they seems to like the pool/breakfast. Takes us 5 minutes to zip into town and back. Considered paying for the downtown experience, man, am i glad I saved the money for other things, like great food and shopping. Folly beach is about 10-15 minutes south of here.

5. Re: First Time Visitors to Charleston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 15:19