We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stupid Question about use of this site

U. S.
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Stupid Question about use of this site

I'm pretty new to the forum part of this site. Wished I had known about it before. Many folks are locals and respond that they have particular things listed under their name. Ex. Restaurant picks. I click on their name, and there's a list of their latest post. How do I get past that first list of their post to find a particular post that was earlier?

Sorry for being so dumb!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stupid Question about use of this site

I believe what you need is the handy-dandy search function. This forum isn't the most user-friendly, but it has an excellent search.

As for the locals, believe me when I say that there are a LOT of people who frequent this site that know a whole lot more about things in Charleston than I do, and they don't have the "Local Expert" thingy next to their name.

So, in my opinion, it's better to just use the search function to see what others have posted on a particular subject.

BTW, did you have any specific question, or just curious?

U. S.
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stupid Question about use of this site

Well, an example is one of the local experts will say to go to their post and they've listed a list of restaurants with opinions. When I click on their names it takes me to the questions they've been involved with recently. Can't seem to get back to their other post in the past.., where I'm assuming their post on restaurants were.

Thoughts??

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stupid Question about use of this site

I'm not sure what your asking...

I clicked on your name and got all 48 posts that you've written. I didn't have a problem with it.

Maybe I'm missing your point.

U. S.
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stupid Question about use of this site

This mainly happens when it's a person considered an expert and they have hundreds of posts. I don't know how to get past the first page that list the most recent post.

Manassas, VA
Destination Expert
for Manassas
Level Contributor
559 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stupid Question about use of this site

Since I tell people all the time to look in my profile, I guess I should answer this question ;o) ANd thanks for pointing out that not everyone understands the navigation on here.

When you click on a person's name, it takes you directly to the forums tab with a list of all the posts that person has made in chronological order.

If you click on the "reviews" tab (it's a yellow bar about 3 inches from the top of your screen), you can find the list of reviews this person has made, in chronological order. Each tab has different information. Like in mine I say where I've been, what type of travel I like, etc.

So, for example, when I tell people to look in my profile for my reviews, I typically tell them what page it's on (like if it was my most recent trip or if it was last August).

Hope that helps.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Stupid Question about use of this site

I have wondered about that too. I have looked and looked. I think that only the latest one are saved.

As far as restaurants suggestions, I would not put much faith in reviews that are over a few months old. Conditions and staff change rapidly in the restaurant business. What was great in January could be the pits today. What was just starting out in January with rude staff and slow service may now have gotten their act together and is now a great place to eat.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stupid Question about use of this site

Thanks VaBelle.

Apologies to Buzz for not being able to answer your question.

I know I learned something!

8. Re: Stupid Question about use of this site

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 03:17