We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nicest beaches w/i a few hours outside of charelston- HH?

Ohio
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
nicest beaches w/i a few hours outside of charelston- HH?

looking for the nicest beach areas to spend a week at after spending a couple nights in charleston...I was thinking HH but now I hear it will be very crowded in August.. are there nicer beaches in the area?

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nicest beaches w/i a few hours outside of charelston- HH?

Folly Beach is 15 minutes from Charleston. Our family loves it.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nicest beaches w/i a few hours outside of charelston- HH?

LOL

Are you kidding? ALL beaches are crowded in August!

Folly is okay, but I don't know that I'd put it in the same category as HHI, Isle of Palms, or Sullivans Island.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
731 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nicest beaches w/i a few hours outside of charelston- HH?

I think Isle of Palms have beautiful and clean beaches. Best of all it is peaceful (except for other beach goers) because it is not commercialized. Hilton Head is nice also, but there are not many waves, they are very calm. All beaches will be crowded. If you like more of a surf, go to Isle of Palms. If you like very calm waters, go to Hilton Head.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nicest beaches w/i a few hours outside of charelston- HH?

Isle of Palms (IOP) is my favorite beach. They will all be crowded but it is a little less crowded than some.

There are some chain hotels just over the connector from IOP in Mt. Pleasant and plenty of restaurants and stores nearby that area, too. There is very little shopping on IOP and limited restaurants. There is a very nice Piggly Wiggly by the connector with great picnic supplies for taking to the beach!

Ohio
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: nicest beaches w/i a few hours outside of charelston- HH?

Thanks for the info...Isle of Palms looks great- I am having trouble finding a small condo for August...anyone have a real estate agency they can recommend?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nicest beaches w/i a few hours outside of charelston- HH?

These might be able to help you:

Shelter Management - 843-224-6437

Island Realty - 843-886-8144

Ohio
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: nicest beaches w/i a few hours outside of charelston- HH?

thanks!

Sumter, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nicest beaches w/i a few hours outside of charelston- HH?

Hello,

I just wanted to say that Hilton Head Island is one of the most beautiful places that our family has been. The beaches are incredible! We prefer the beaches in Sea Pines Plantation. If you are not staying as a guest there, you do have to buy a $5 car pass to get into the plantation. There is also a parking lot at the entrance for you to park your car and ride the trolley. The trolley will take you around the plantation. Harbor Town and South Beach are also nice to walk around and/or to get something to eat inside Sea Pines. The oak trees, lagoons, and wildlife are really beautiful!

hartsville, sc
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: nicest beaches w/i a few hours outside of charelston- HH?

Another option would be Litchfield or Pawley's Island, north of Charleston- a little over an hour's drive up highway 17.

10. Re: nicest beaches w/i a few hours outside of charelston- HH?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 05:27