We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Charleston to Asheville - Anything to see on the way

London, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Charleston to Asheville - Anything to see on the way

I know that driving direct from Charleston to Asheville is about 5 hours but I'm hoping there might be some interesting sites along the way to stop at. My fiancee and I are allocating the whole day to get there - can someone tell me if there is anything worthwhile to break up the trip?

Appreciate any help!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Charleston to Asheville - Anything to see on the way

A couple of museums in Columbia, SC ( and a decent zoo)......and , you can veer off onto I-85 near Spartanburg and zip over to the BMW plant and take a tour. Other than that, not much reason to stop. The town of Hendersonville, NC ( just south of Asheville) has a neat downtown with quaint shops and eateries - also, the home of writer Carl Sandburg is a nice stop for an hour or two - take the tour. Be sure to go to McFarland's Bakery if you go to H'Ville - worth the trip alone!!! LOL.

If you want some real southern greasy spoon food, stop at The Beacon in Spartanburg, SC and order a "Hamburger-A-Plenty" - great fun and good food!

Most of what you will drive through from Charleston to A'Ville will be rural and farm country. Just enjoy the changing scenery - not much else to see.

Best wishes.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Charleston to Asheville - Anything to see on the way

bud, you forgot to mention the egg capitol of the world - Newberry, S.C.! Nat, you can stop off in Newberry and visit their water tower that's shaped like an egg! That oughta take about 5 minutes !!

J/K

It's a pretty boring drive down, but I do agree with bud's choices.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
142 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Charleston to Asheville - Anything to see on the way

No trip through Hendersonville would be complete without a trip to the bakery! Also, Main Street has many neat little shops. (I like the Mast's General Store for the candy!) The farmer's market is a fun stop off of 1-26 between Hendersonville and Asheville. (Can you see the food theme???) No prettier area in the region than Saluda to Hendersonville. Still amazes me!

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Charleston to Asheville - Anything to see on the way

I am from Asheville originally and now live in south Florida. I have made the trip many times. There is really nothing to see. I would suggest making the trip as quickly as possible and enjoying all the wonderful things there are to do in Asheville.

5. Re: Driving Charleston to Asheville - Anything to see on the way

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 20:16